Falcon Crest

• Members

Yeah, her real last name is Camargo (her sister, Felice Camargo subbed for her as Charlotte on GL, and their father, Ralph Camargo was also an actor). Victoria’s son Christian (né Minnick) chose Camargo for his stage name to honor their heritage.

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm really enjoying season 3 this time around. I still hate this Cole/Linda story, which may be my least favorite storyline just for the blandness, but the rest of the show is rocking on all cylinders. Julia is the most interesting she's ever been, Richard and Melissa are really hitting their stride this season and Emma just may be my favorite character ever. She is so sweet and much smarter than everybody gives her credit for. Having her full-time this season is great as she improves every scene she's in. I love her chemistry with Richard, Chase, Maggie and Angela. Cliff Robertson is an example of stunt casting that works and I would've liked him to stick around longer. Of course Laura Johnson was also a fabulous addition as Maggie's sister Terry. 

Other than Cole and Linda, I have no complaints. 

• Members

Yep - agreed on season 3. I think 2 and 3 are the strongest of the series. Bob McCullough was there running things and it showed. He left after season 3, and his guidance was missing in season 4, which is still fun but veers a little too far off course from the original premise.

I also love Emma, a breath of fresh air when it comes to soap opera characters. And I like how Emma is the one who Angela really has a soft spot for. She’s never vicious to Emma the way she is to Lance and Julia.

Edited by Chris 2

• Members

I think you could look at it in relation to Dallas:

D - FC

#1 - #13

#2 - #8

#1 - #7

#2 - #10

#6 - #24

#11 - #23

#21 - #42

#30 - #52

#43 - #63 (last four episodes aired on Thursdays 9PM)

I guess Freilich's first season really did stabilise the show especially with Dallas's fall out of the top ten. Season 7 through 9 it just kept falling I guess.

• Members

I’d argue that the ratings for Frielich’s first season only stabilized because it was no longer facing Miami Vice. And the ratings were a bit lower than the season that came before, despite having no real competition (though the overall ranking was higher). I suspect the ratings wouldn’t have been any lower had Earl Hamner and his team stayed another year.

Edited by Chris 2

• Members

Can someone jog my memory about Lance's father?

I recall he was in a few episodes (played by Tony Franciosa, or a similar semi-famous rat-pack-adjacent prime time actor from the 60s?) (or his name was Tony Cumson, which is rather unfortunate and I can see why Julie went back to her maiden name?), (although I still giggle that Julia was named Dorcas in the original pilot, Dorcas Cumson is not a name that I would wish on my worst enemy).

I don't recall why he broke up with Julia or what was his general story?

Edited by j swift

• Members

Tony Cumson (titters) was played by John Saxon for one episode in 1982, Robert Loggia for one other episode later in 1982 and Saxon again from 1982-88.

From what I gather, Tony left Julia and Lance back in 1970 because he couldn't stand living under Angela's thumb and Julia wasn't strong enough to leave. Tony apparently wasn't much of a success, so I can understand why Julia was reluctant. From the Loggia episode, courtesy falconcrest.org:

"Richard uses a lucrative job offer to entice Tony into securing Julia's agreement to sell off her interests in Falcon Crest and The New Globe (newspaper). However, the plan backfires and Julia is devastated. Tony realizes Richard's job offer wasn't real."

In 1983, Julia made another of her bids for a new life. She went to San Diego to get with Tony, only to find his pregnant girlfriend (BRENDA DICKSON!). Soon after, Julia was discovered as Carlo Agretti's murderer.

Part Two:

Tony came back in 1986, found out Julia was blind (as a result of an earthquake) and made a bid to make things better with Lance. That went kaput when Tony opted to partner with Chase, not invest in Lance and Melissa's partnership. Richard got revenge, too, by dumping waste near Chase and Tony's vineyard (and making it look like it was Angela's fault). From there, Tony got involved in the Kim Hunter/VERTIGO pastiche that I can't properly explain, other than to say that Angela pulled strings to have Tony tried for murder.

Side note: Why exactly did Angela claim she visited Heaven while in her coma? If ever there was someone who deserved to rot in hell, it was that sanctimonious ol' puss-face.

By 1987-88, Tony was cleared of the murder charge and it looks like his final storyline was disagreeing with Lance about his involvement with Shannon (another of Lance's doomed lovers).

• Members

I was thinking about Barbara Stanwyck and her ill fated stint on The Colbys.

She wanted to work but it seems only Aaron Spelling was willing to employ her.

How would FC fans think of Barbara as Angela Channing? Jane Wyman did a fabulous job but I feel Barbara would have definitely nailed the role also.

For those familiar with La Stanwyck, how do you think Angela might have been different had she played her?

Do we know of any other names that might have been bandied around for Angela?

• Members

Barbara Stanwyck was the original choice for Angela, actually.

The reason she did The Colby's was because she and Aaron were close friends since they worked on a tv movie together (allegedly, it was running over budget and this was right at the start of Aaron's producing career, so Stanwyck helped him by bandying the cast together to finish it on time). She was also Tori's god mother, so I'm sure she's looking down from heaven in approval...