• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I first started watching as a teen during the '85/86 Apollonia/Babylonia 

Please register in order to view this content

season, and never saw the earlier years.

So I'm familiar with the characters and the basic stories.

Is Season 1 boring or skippable while the show is finding its footing, or is Season 1 essential?

• Members

Season 1 is less a serial and more a collection of standalone episodes, albeit with an overarching, recurring storyline (how will Chase find out the truth about his father’s death). FC was originally conceived as more of a family drama until CBS scheduled it after Dallas. The first season shows those roots, and does a nice job of establishing the main characters. I think it’s worth catching, but I’m also a sucker for a good family drama.

• Members

I believe there's talk about Dallas being re-released properly, so I assume they might be working to fix it to have it on HBO Max.

I assume they don't really see Dallas or Falcon Crest as subscription drivers though, so they're probably going to try and get their money's worth on licensing them out to other streaming sites like IMDBTV before landing on HBO Max. I think CBS Studios did a similar thing to Dynasty / 90210 / Melrose Place before they landed on Paramount+.

• Members

I’m 3 episodes into season one and it’s very good. I wouldn’t recommend skipping it. I think Falcon Crest was smart with how they handled it by including a mystery story arc to tie everything together. That’s actually very modern of them. The location and winery also lended itself well to those self contained episodes. It allowed them to develop the characters as opposed to Dallas and Knots which sometimes felt more “story of the week” in those days. 

• Members

Someone in another thread or board posted that they realize what an ass Chase is when re-watching the series now. The casting for Chase was one of the series real flaws. Robert Foxworth didn’t have the warmth or charm to make a self-righteous crusader likeable at the same time. He just came off as an arrogant jerk a lot, particularly later in his run. And the original Chase, Clu Gulager, had the same problem, so they blew it twice from a casting standpoint.

You really can’t blame Angela too much for fighting Chase, given the way he comes off. Of course, that withered old prune has some charm issues herself, but at least she’s been around for years doing the hard work of building the business.

• Members

These shows definitely won't drive subscription volume - HBO Max won't go out of their way to promote it like they always do with something like Friends (

Please register in order to view this content

) for example, so I do assume remastering long-running shows like Dallas, FC, and KL must be extremely expensive for them to prioritize. They also don't have same cache and historical significance that something like the old MGM film library that WB owns has as well. 

It sucks that primetime soaps have never really seemed to garner much long-term value or demand when compared to sitcoms or more episodic dramas.