Falcon Crest

• Members

One thing I am pretty sure would have happened with Stanwyck is that Angela would not have anchored the show almost all throughout.
Granted, the writing for Angela and FC was better than anything they gave her at The Colbys but the way she reacted over there and trashed the show tells me she wasn't the kind of actress with the patience to pull through the inevitable run of bad stories that come with being on a long-time soap.
I bet she would have bailed, which is gratuitous on my part obviously.

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Barbara Stanwyck was a good 10 years older than Jane Wyman and looked it. One thing about Jane Wyman’s portrayal is that Angela seemed pretty robust and up to a good fight during most of her years on the show. Stanwyck would have played a more aged, frailer Angela. Not sure it would have worked as well.

• Members

Yeah, I mean, Barbara seemed in decent shape in the Thorn Birds, unfortunately at that age it can go downhill fast.

It would've definitively affected her portrayal of Angela some time in the mid-80s though.

• Members

Thus, it is completely gratuituous on my part but I think BS would have walked by Season 6 at the very latest.
I don't think she had a sense of loyalty to keep powering through c**p the way JW did.
Some women feel that strength means perserving in tough situations with her head high - the JW "lady" way.
Some women felt about speaking up and standing up against garbage - more BS way. Ready to walk if things go downhill. Which would have accelerated the downfall of the show faster.

It always amazes me how Dynasty recycled the whole "Nazi treasure in a mine" plotline in its Season 9. Of all the dumb plots to copy...

• Members

Exactly.  "Missy" treasured working with the crews on all her projects, but not enough to put up with shitty writing.

It's one of those kinds of stories that I'm sure happens IRL, but just doesn't come off well on most movies and TV shows.

• Members

Slightly off topic, but I always love hearing Lee Majors and Linda Evans talk about Stanwyck and how she mentored them. A real down-to-earth, no-nonsense but caring person from the way they describe her. I read a story about Charlton Heston trying to get his Colbys costars back from lunch on time because if they were late, “Barbara will be mad.” LOL.