• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I wish the producers, Lorimar and CBS had appreciated him more, too.  "The suits" never understand that you need "good" guys like WRM/Cole to counter-balance the heavies (like Angela and Richard) or else the show falls apart.

Actually, I could take-or-leave Abby Dalton and Julia.  Besides, Angela didn't really need two daughters on the show.  Emma could have been Angela's sole daughter and Lance's eccentric mother, and the show wouldn't have missed a beat.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Julia provided one of the great nighttime soap cliffhangers with season 2. After that, she was unnecessary.

I’m rewatching season 4 and have really come to appreciate Richard more, but I wish he had been written as Angela’s (estranged) son from the beginning, instead of that nonsense of how Jacqueline and Douglas stole him at birth. That was ridiculous. But that was Jeff Frielich.

Cole annoys me, tbh. Way too much of a hothead and I thought William R Moses was a little wooden. But compared to Dan Fixx, Cole is fantastic.

Ana Alicia has hardly aged. It’s incredible. Susan has aged very gracefully, as has Lorenzo Lamas.

Warner Bros is restoring/remastering Dallas in HD, presumably to stream on HBO Max (I can’t imagine them doing a Blu-ray, but it would be great if they did). And I imagine that if it does well, then KL and FC would follow.

Edited by Chris 2

• Members

Richard Channing became the Alexis Colby of that show.

By that I mean, he came on in the second season to create a viable antagonist.  Chase would have seemed like an idiot if he fought with Angela for years and kept getting mislead and betrayed by her.  Cole and Lance were too young, with too many options, to maintain a rivalry.  The show needed Richard as a villain to sustain itself beyond the first season.  He expands the database for story because without him the main plots would be about the growing and harvesting of crops, hardly an intriguing scenario for a multi-season soap.  How many times could the crop almost be ruined? Or the workers not be able to harvest before everyone would have turned the channel?

FC was very lucky that Flamingo Road flopped and David Selby became available.

Of course, as seen in the pilot that has been on YouTube for years, Richard was always part of the story bible.  Angela needed an ally/sparring partner and Chase needed another man to interfere with his family.  I doubt that Michael Swan, who played a version of Richard in the pilot, would have been able to play a guy who was both ruthless and charming, evil and vulnerable.

That doesn't negate the brilliant characterization of Melissa Agretti.  However, it is notable that Melissa grew into the role of nemesis, she started out just as brat.  It was the death of her father and the loss of Cole that really made her evolve.

Edited by j swift

• Members

If they released Dallas on blu ray I'd buy the series again. I have the entire series on dvd.

I'd hope they would be complete episodes. Some of the episodes on the DVD release weren't complete. I'm looking forward to seeing it in HD on HBO Max.

Edited by Soapsuds

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I don't know if this is new stuff (it is to me) but here Ana Alicia says she was killed off because the new producer had "a connection" with an actress he intended to fill roughly the same spot as Melissa on the show.

If I know anything about Hollywood speak, at least in my dirty mind, I can read between the lines here. And we know who she means.