Soap Openings: Past and Present

• Members

+1

I always thought it was "the one soap theme that would never need to be shortened cos it's so short and to the point" and now they've gone and reduced it to next to nothing, they might as well do like ATWT and not even play the damn song at all ffs.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The white linen AMC opening was... *lovely* I guess, but it in no way topped the falling pics opening, and I think things like this should be progressive rather than regressive. My biggest problem with the white linen opening was that it was BORING and for years they continued to tweak it to make it a little more interesting, but it still never lived up to the prior opening, no opening has, even the ones that have reintroduced the theme. The thing is, they have "modernized" the theme in a way that has made it kinda toothless imo. I'm telling you, if they brought back the "dun-dun-dun-dun..." on Monday, fans across the country would be going, "Awwwwww [!@#$%^&*]!" I think TPTB take for granted little familiar creative cues like that that get the fans going. Dallas' theme was an important part to the overall experience, you got pumped up on Friday night hearing that. But I digress...

The first day of the white linen opening, I was like, "What IS this crap!?" The pictures were no longer "falling" and they were screen shot stills, super boring, at least they eventually got animated. And the music... ugh, I'm not sure if people remember how slow and moody it was at first. Later that week they alternated it with another theme which was sort of country and twangy. It was just TOO rural for AMC, better for one of those sentimental TV movies they used to play on Saturday afternoons.

• Members

I leave for a weekend and I miss out on one of my favourite soap topics! As a former WoSTer, I could also dish about soap themes all day. My all time favourite has always been AMC's 1990-1994 falling pics. The arrangement, the technical aspect... at the time it was revolutionary. Perfectly fitting for AMC who also was very revolutionary at the time. The White Opening was a severe step down, but I've come to appreciate it in the years since it was retired. As SFK said, no opening since has topped falling pictures. 2002 was a step in the right direction.... I hated it only lasted a year and a half. I was so ecstatic the day that debuted. I yelled to my mom "OMG they brought it back, they brought it back!" Meaning the theme music from 1990-1994 lol.

I especially like the music used from 1995-1998? I wasn't a fan of when they sped up the tempo. I can't exactly remember when they did that. The white opening had various mixes... the one they used in early 1995 when it was debuted I also liked. Not sure if its been posted so here it is.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Of the current ABC opening, AMC's is still the best... but it is severe need of being revamped... I hope since GH is to get one AMC will as well.

I always enjoyed GH's Faces of the Heart.... it is probably my favourite outside of AMC. And who couldn't enjoy Y&R's classic Nadia theme?

Thank goodness youtube has so many soap themes at our disposals. One user on there has every single faces of the heart version ever, and most OLTL and AMC versions over the years too.

• Members

As a little kid, I will always remember AMC's 95 opening music being played at the Emmy ceremonies for when the show won something, and that theme and the show itself gained my ire for I wasn't a viewer at the time :lol: By the time I became an actual viewer the opening sequence was on it's way out.

I always liked the revamped falling pictures opening. I think it's a wonderful take on the opening sequence from the early 90s. I remember being quite surprised though that the show would institute such an opening for I wasn't particularly a fan of the EP at the time, Jean Dedario Burke because I don't think she did any favors for the show production wise JMHO.

Here's an opening from a special episode of Guiding Light. The episode was Ross's election day nightmare and the opening sequence is set against "Happy Days Are Here Again" The opening doesn't start until 4:57, but the teaser along with the entire episode was nicely scored, which isn't unusual considering Jill Farren Phelps was EP.

• Members

It's funny, that woman who played the lady Ross talks to by the car window also played Mrs. Renfield, Quint's mysterious housekeeper.

That special election day episode was a fantastic stand alone episode. I thought GL should have won a directing Emmy for it. 1992 has to be one of the greatest years in GL history.

Archived