Soap Openings: Past and Present

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Okay, I thought you meant that specific piano version....

I'm not sure if someone else disagreed that OLTL has urban characteristics. I think there are urban elements to the show... I think it is definitely diverse, though "diverse" and "urban" aren't inextricably tied. My comment was that the piano music didn't have an urban vibe... but that was only because I thought YOU meant the music was urban! Sorry for the miscommunications, Michael... :)

• Members

That was me. I think that OLTL at its best has a true community spirit, like we saw in the gay marriage storyline, but the urban sensibilities I feel like are whittled away every time they're built up again. And then there's poor Carlotta and her diner being made into the Bonjour Cafe of Llanview.

Here are the credits for Trading Places. Bob Woods as RJ is a classic, but the ones I loved are Roger Howarth's Viki pose and Cat Hickland/HBS as Nora and Lindsay. I could watch some of those poses a million times. And it's eerie how much Fiona looks like JDP :lol:

• Members

That was from the parody OLTL did in July 2001 where Rae had a dream of going to a very strange version of Llanview. The end involved Starr dressed as Rae and Rae dressed as Starr. Most of it was a lot of fun.

A year later they did another parody, Babes Behind Bars, when Lindsay and Allison Perkins were cellmates. I mostly remember Allison singing "Ben."

I'd forgotten Heather McRae was in that too. Did she sing "Easy to be Hard"?

• Members

You guys posted my favorites, particularly the OLTL mid-80s theme, both the instrumental and Peabo Bryson versions, and the 1990s GL Hold On To Love theme, with the dancing Harley.

I also liked the EON theme. (Boy, do I miss watching these soaps during these periods).

• Members

I miss Carlotta's (and before that Wanda Webb's) diner. The Bonjour just seems ugly to me--and we don't even see Noel there anymore anyway so what's the point.

Is all that Trading Spaces on youtube?? I somehow missed it but now am desperate to see it--fo me, far and away the best are the Cat/HBS as Nora and Lindsay lol. I never knew HBS had that kinda humour talent!

• Members

The thing is... It's not bad. Not bad at all (especially when they made the images move), and I like the theme (especailly the one that opens with the piano), but I feel both are just lesser versions of the 1990 opening/concept. The melody, whilenotremotely the same still sounds like a variation to me--which is good I guess to keep some connection. Still, I have to say I was *thrilled* when they brought back the photographs in a book and 1990 music around 2000 or whenever.

• Members

Applcin: LOL. I was just about ready to post the EON Updated Themes the 1980-83 was the best. They updated it at least six times. The first one didn't include Sharon Gabet because she had left the show a few months early (she'd returned, but I think P&G was punishing her). The next one began the string where Raven face and eyes moved turned into Monticello (LA Skyline). Most of these have been taken off youtube in past few months. I found it in a clip. The sequence begins at 1:30. Sorry for only the link -- media box wouldn't work. (Also, the end theme actually was written and used in the late 70s of the slow music. Such a unique show -- not that I'm biased.)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wws68ZThkw0

• Members

Not being a regular viewer, I'm always confused as to when ATWT changed their themes, but it seemed like, though I still like best that oh so 80s one, whenever they'd have a good theme they'd suddenly replace it with an utterly boring one. I like the one (music anyway) you liked to too--hate the current one.

All those fights and action scenes do NOT work with that GL theme. But thanks for posting that music, I had forgotten all about it. As much as I like the 1990s theme to death, I may even prefer this one--it sounds corny but it has sorta this achingly nostalgic sense to me. I love it.

(When I was 12 or so and getting obsessed with soaps--and there was no internet, SOD had an add for a casette tape of soap themes, and I got it. I was a bit dismayed to find out they were all synth versions, but I admit it's how I discovered many of these themes as it had long full versions of the old and new OLTL, AMC, GL, etc as well as Dallas, Knots and Twin Peaks)

• Members

This reminds me how much I hate the old Edge of Night logo--it makes me think it should be a kids show and was done in crayons for some reason...

As a teen I got a copy of about 90 episodes of Guiding Light's radio version--from I think from 1950, 1951 or so (the famous, and I admit actually riveting Meta Bauer murder trial, death of Chuckie, etc) The opening organ chordes (Aphrodite!) are stuck in my brain forever, but so is the jingle for DUZ detergent, which I bet people associated with GL as much as the organ, at the time.

"Putting new DUZ in your washing machine

Finest DUZ you've ever seen

Bigger news, now you can sing

D U Z does everything!"

The new Duz! Brings you, The Guiding Light, by Irna Phillips (she was the only soap writer who had it in her contract to get daily credit)

Archived