Soap Openings: Past and Present

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

* The original Y&R opening: the classiest opening ever.

* ATWT and AW from the seventies: so melodramatic, I loved them :)

* OLTL 1992-96: the first episodes I started watching were from 1993, so I didn't realize that this was not the most appropriate opening for that show. Still love it though.

* The original AMC opening: So traditional!

* UK soap Emmerdale: The best!

* B&B was ruined with that new opening and the show lost it's identity.

* I hate the current Y&R opening, the trend of soaps imitating old prime time shows with actor images and names is so outdated.

• Members

I couldn't wait for them to replace that late Friday night HBO soft-core opening when it aired, but now I look back on it very fondly. I think it was very appropriate for where the show was at the time, dark and moody... well, I'll say this, perhaps the MUSIC was more appropriate than the opening visuals. But I thought the closing with the dark billowing satin was simple and gorgeous.

• Members

The original opening is much plainer, it's tinny, but there's no real melodrama. You'd enjoy that more.

I like the sweeping openings they use in the British soaps. Otherwise we get something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1XkURMz4Fw

As for the OLTL champagne opening, I thought it made the show look generic and implied that they were ashamed of their history, as well as ashamed of soaps period.

• Members

The theme seems very out of place for what Eastenders is. If I listen to that theme I would expect to see people on the beach, not Pauline Fowler slapping her children and raging about Sanjay and Gita not picking up their laundry.

I think the old themes work best for Corrie and Eastenders. New attempts often end up being something like that weird Hollyoaks opening.

• Members

Wow, I forget how popular the show is! Here's a version, but I remember a much popier one.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Archived