Soap Openings: Past and Present

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know there's some sort of rule that soap vocal themes must have inane lyrics (witness Loving), but wow. I know no one will agree with me--but I hated Passions opening. CRAP CRAP song, badly sung, and shots of a small town, etc, that had nothing to do with the feel of the song. Utter fail.

(Re 1970s OLTL opening) I love it, but I prefer when ti was elaborated and made more sophisticated (music and imagery) by the early 80s with the bird, etc

Me too, it's like soap opera's take on an Erik Satie composition.

It's interesting how soap themes were almost ALL gentle, or sentimental, etc till the 80s (was this partly due to Dallas, etc?)

Alternates

• Members

YES YES YES YES

I love it. It's like 100 times better than the "standard" EE theme in every way.

Staying abroad for a second, I love The Young Doctors, from Australia. It seems like every successful Aussie soap since then has had an opening with a wealth of hot youngsters and a couple of older, wacky people randomly thrown in for good measure, which I guess sums up the shows pretty accurately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrdVcQweYCw

To illustrate, Neighbours circa 1999 (which are the episodes that aired on Oxygen a few years ago).

I loathe that thing Toadie does at the end. Loser.

Archived