Guiding Light discussion thread

I really enjoyed it. Too bad that Fiona's connection had so much trouble. It's nice that Brynn Thayer was able to send a message and sort of represent his time on OLTL. It would have been cool to have incorporated a few more of his OLTL costars, like Robin Strasser and Erika Slezak, but it probably wouldn't have been practical to combine the soaps like that and he did have the longer history with GL.

And that video they showed at the end of Zas winning the Emmy is one of the few uploads of mine that I left up on youtube. I don't think I ever got copyright-slammed for anything related to GL.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, victoria foxton said:

Doug Marland,Pam Long and Meredith Brown 1986 interview

They would have made an excellent team....shame it never came to be 

2 hours ago, Soaplovers said:

They would have made an excellent team....shame it never came to be 

How dare Pam compare herself to Doug!  She ripped off Dallas, Gone with the Wind, General Hospital and other movies and shows for her initial GL stories.  Her OLTL and SFT stints were utter failures.  Doug had his issues but he made a huge and positive impact on The Doctors, GH, GL and ATWT; his one pock mark is Loving but that was Aggie's failure too.

Pam never stayed around long enough to earn her stripes as a true soap writer.

On GL she basically brought on a slew of new characters with a specific story in mind for them but didn't have to put in the hard yards of following through and keeping them interesting.

11 hours ago, RavenWhitney said:

How dare Pam compare herself to Doug!  She ripped off Dallas, Gone with the Wind, General Hospital and other movies and shows for her initial GL stories.  Her OLTL and SFT stints were utter failures.  Doug had his issues but he made a huge and positive impact on The Doctors, GH, GL and ATWT; his one pock mark is Loving but that was Aggie's failure too.

I don't think I'd ever seen Pam Long before. She was quite attractive but delusional if she thought she was as good as Marland. I kind of blame her for the beginning of the long, slow demise of Guiding Light. 

Quite frankly Marland may have been a good start writer..but his show were just dull and kind of stuffy. 

Long had energy and emotion in her writing.

It's why I think they would have worked well with one another..balancing each other out.

10 hours ago, Soaplovers said:

Quite frankly Marland may have been a good start writer..but his show were just dull and kind of stuffy. 

It's why I think they would have worked well with one another..balancing each other out.

Totally agree and you can see that the two really like each other and admire each others work. As I have said before, Doug had the structure, the discipline and the history down, while Pam had heart, sexiness, family and both of them wrote great community stories...(whatever happened to the Lewises in some way effected the rest of the families.) 

Also, I knew Pam was beautiful but wow!!!

46 minutes ago, Mitch said:

Totally agree and you can see that the two really like each other and admire each others work. As I have said before, Doug had the structure, the discipline and the history down, while Pam had heart, sexiness, family and both of them wrote great community stories...(whatever happened to the Lewises in some way effected the rest of the families.) 

Also, I knew Pam was beautiful but wow!!!

All of this. They would have made a great writing team IMHO. Ah what could have been. I do wish a better balance had been made from the 70s into the 80s. But network agendas and all ...

On 3/21/2021 at 11:43 AM, RavenWhitney said:

Doug had his issues but he made a huge and positive impact on The Doctors, GH, GL and ATWT; his one pock mark is Loving but that was Aggie's failure too.

His impact on TD was hardly positive. 

I get a sense that if Doug had stayed on to be Co-HW with Pam, we most likely would have never witnessed the decimation of the Bauer’s like we did. While I believe Pam never wanted to initially write them out, Marland would have fought tooth and nail against network brass to keep them on the show. 

1 hour ago, MichaelGL said:

His impact on TD was hardly positive. 

I get a sense that if Doug had stayed on to be Co-HW with Pam, we most likely would have never witnessed the decimation of the Bauer’s like we did. While I believe Pam never wanted to initially write them out, Marland would have fought tooth and nail against network brass to keep them on the show. 

Marland's GL writing was so cold, which didn't do the Bauers a lot of favors (Mart Hulswit's firing was a huge mistake for that reason). I do think he would have been more likely to keep them on than Kobe/Long were, but they were not especially appealing for me when I watch his run. 

Remember: all the shows, but particularly GL, were in a race to copy and/or steal from GH which was a huge success in 1981 onward through about 88-89.  All the producers/writers were pressured to do ice princess stories, copy Luke and Laura etc.  Doug had Kelly/Morgan and the Nola fantasies, Pam did the dreaming death, haunted cottage stories. SFT did the jade story and on and on. Gloria Monty ruined traditional daytime even if she sort of saved it.  James Reilley also ruined daytime.  Two of the worst influences on the genre ever.

3 hours ago, RavenWhitney said:

Gloria Monty ruined traditional daytime even if she sort of saved it.  James Reilley also ruined daytime.  Two of the worst influences on the genre ever.

ICAM

17 hours ago, Soaplovers said:

I think that would have been an interesting pairing from what I have seen.  Her GL is all big emotion and not very tight structurally, while his ATWT is very meticulous and thought out but lacks some of that heat.  At least that is how it looks to a viewer like me, who watched after the fact and in spurts on YouTube.

2 hours ago, titan1978 said:

Her GL is all big emotion and not very tight structurally, while his ATWT is very meticulous and thought out but lacks some of that heat. 

If you've only seen what's been uploaded up on YouTube, you have missed many spicy scenes.

No offense to the uploaders, who have provided fans with lots of entertainment, but if you really look at who is featured in the majority of those episodes, it's mainly Lily and Holden, lol. The sultry stuff from Tom and Margo is not even on there.