Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is actual a pretty good episode even though this isn't one of my favorite era's. Production values really do matter. Since it's a visual medium. GL still looked really good. Recast Eleni was such a non entity. Mary Stuart hit the ground running. Loved how Meta takes over the Bauer home. Abby was a unique character that deserved better. It's hard to believe this was almost 25 yrs ago. Was Megan McHackish still writing the show?  

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

I think this was tail end of McTavish..if she wasn't there it was her outlines.  The "A Spaulding" thing pettered out...McTavish was pissed that the audience figured out it was going to be Blake, which actually had consequences, what with at this time Blake carrying both Ross and Rick's kid and holding that secret...TPTB had to get over springing suprises on us and just write out a good show.  Loved the return of Meta, too bad that Stuart got sick not long after this and had a sporadic run but its to GL's credit that they kept her involved and luckily, avoided what Marland did to Nancy Hughes and just turned her into a sweet grandma without opinions.  Loved her bossing the guys around. And yes, Abby and Rick had good potential to be the nice normal couple in town.  Loved Buzz being a third wheel in Rome hated that they had to kill Sarah off to bring in the dreaded Cassie...(Sarah could have recovered..) Annie in Mom jeans is hilarious and yes, Eleni is a non entity..( Jill Hurst says she was upset when the decision was made to have Frank and Eleni split up but what else were they going to do...)  A lot of potential to fix things here and Rauch and the writers did but they lost their way...too bad.

• Members

I had become pretty sick of the show by mid-summer - I never knew Blake was meant to be A Spaulding. That would have been interesting, given her history with the family. (they ended up saying it was Alan, didn't they?)

Yes, I think Meta's return was set up by Laibson and McTavish. IIRC, in one of his last interviews, Laibson had to address rumors that he was going to cast his mother as Meta. That tells you how fed up fans were at this time and also how crazy the early days of soap fans interacting with soap personnel were. 

• Members

Yea, like Rick says to Phillips "Oh you thought it was your brother" (which is weird as AM is Rick's cousin and in real life would just use his name..) and Phillip is like, "Oh, yea, that is what Dad wanted me to believe but it was him all along..so what's for dinner?" after months and months of searching for A Spaudling and blaming everyone. Blake would have been great, especially with her BIG secret..but as you said, this was the start of message boards and people figured it out and TPTB freaked like it was some big twist out of nowhere and the fans ruined it. It would have been good as Amanda (hey they totally redid her character so lean into it) hated Blake and could have blackmailed her and then Phillip finds out and causes this big explosion. But it went out with a whimper and then we got..."Amanda is Brandon's daughter" nonsense.

And your right, that summer of GL sucked..Reva in LURVE and screwing that troll Buzz, Roger and Lonatrat...Dinah as the poor put upon heroine..actually outsmarting Roger..Alan wanting to "Destroy 5th Street..bwhahahaha" all because of Reva, the recast AM fading into the woodwork and you could see him struggling with his line, Alex just kind of wringing her hands about Alan and essentially saying "Now boys, don't fight" Ed left, Vanessa having a soap disease and planning her own fake death..(cause that would be much, much more kind to her family) and Chele in love with wooden Zachary, believe it or not an angel.  No wonder McLaiby was kicked to the curb.

• Members

Thanks for the walk down memory lane; the show was so very bad. Yikes. 

The show looked good, I loved nuBoarding house and Revas super modern home, but the writing was atrocious. 

I always wished they would play up Blake being the outsider (and Rogers daughter) wanting to topple the Spaildings somewhere later on; but that never came to fruition. 

• Members

Loved the Boardinghouse kitchen set..that came from JFP who I must say, knew how to do sets.  Too bad they got rid of it and then the Coopers infested the place.  Funny you mention Reva's house, the message boards were going nuts complaining about it. I think its a cool set that I would want to live in, but do agree, it was not Reva-ish. I don't know why they didn't just have someone else move in there..like Holly did with Reva Bend.

• Members

Another Locher Reunion 

Patti D'Arbanville (Selena Davis) and Tammy Blanchard (Drew Jacobs) 

Emmy Award-winning actress Tammy Blanchard and the incredibly talented Patti D'Arbanville will join me live in The Locher Room on Thursday, March 18th at 3 p.m. EST / 12 p.m. PST. Viewers couldn't take their eyes off this talented duo when they played Selena Davis and Drew Jacobs,