Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

That's interesting. 

Is she saying that because Blake was thrown into the orbit of Phillip? 

From what I've seen, I just don't see Chelsea doing some of the things Blake did. Plus, it wouldn't've been as fun because we wouldn't've had Roger and Holly return because of that. 

And from my previous statement, which I want to elaborate more on, because I do think Chelsea could've became Blake-like had she returned in the late 90s/early 00s as bitter, washed up singer hellbent.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think the 1988 writer strike is what KDP meant when she said Blake took her spot with Philip, etc.

Up till the April 1988 episodes, Chelsea and Phillip were a couple..but you could see the cracks in their relationship.  During the strike (with no outlines provided by Long)...they broke up..Blake was paired with Philip (after she was tested with Johnny) while Chelsea ended up with Johnny.

I do think Beth's back from the dead story would have been different if Philip was with Chelsea instead of Blake.  There was one brief scene when Chelsea met Beth...and it was a brief scene..but how Kassie played it was effective.  Sometimes non verbal ques are more powerful.

With that said, when she left in early 1991..she was excited about her music dreams coming true.  I could have seen her come back years later hardened by her dreams not coming true.

But I do think Pam Long provided Chelsea with some good scenes and one strong story ( The Rae story).  

Did Kassie opt to leave or was she let go?  I could have seen Chelsea fitting into the Curlee era as much as she did in the Long era

• Members

I don't remember if it was ever really said - I think she may have chosen to leave because she was barely used by the end, which would be more mutual.

That is what Kassie meant, yes. She probably felt she had a more firm place on the canvas with Philip rather than with Johnny. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I think she decided to leave during the Rae story and told them so. They said..."Oh we will give your story to someone else then." and she was like..."Uh, she's already stalking ME!"

Interesting to see her return later as more of a bitter hellfire woman. When she was first introduced..Chelsea was said to be..believe it or not.."The crazy Reardon.." and Rick was like.."Oh, Nola is coming home." and they were like..."Oh no...Chelsea is even more wild then Nola!!!" and it was like..uh no.

How the hell did Fletcher and boring Frank last so long???Imagine a really strong leading man (besides Roger) for Alex.

Edited by Mitch

• Members

I don't know. I have to be honest that while Beverley Mc was one of the best actresses on daytime I never managed to buy her too much in romances, even in Another World and Texas. That wasn't her strength and even the romance with Roger always looked like an arrangement to me more than love.

She and Fletcher were kinda cute in that he wasn't taking her s**t. But I am not sure Alex ever worked as a romantic lead with either actresses anyway.

• Members

Very true. I never bought Rog and Alex...great drama came from it, but I never thought Alex was dumb enough or lonely enough to buy into Roger's b.s. (though the writers tried hard to make it so her power isolated her..) An arranged marriage from the start (Roger has a business Spaulding desperately needs and Alex gives Roger legitimacy..) and then Alex slowly coming to enjoy their partnership because of Roger's more mercenary biz smarts..would have worked better. Alex was all family and business not romantic love.  And or course, I could have done without MarjAlex practically acting like she wanted Rog to screw her on the spot all the time.  The only Alex I could see being sexual was of course...VixenAlex Joan Collins..but even she played her like it was just a bit of fun for Alex not overheated LOVE in the soap way.

• Members

Loved this time on GL.  Ellen Parker just looks and acts like someone's mom..not Nancy Hughes type, but a real Mom...dumbest move they ever made to kill her and not keep her around as support, but God knows what Rauch and the rest would have done for her. GA and MOL think they are way more funny then they are in that ad lib singing, but I think MOL always thought he was funnier then he was..(and I like him.) AM and Harley, why do they marry younger characters off like that...they could have the same storyline as 20 somethings dating.