Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Chuckling at Billy and Josh referring to Alan-Michael and Harley as "The Teenage Crowd". And Josh, saying "I didn't even know that she knew these people". Josh will be getting to know Harley a lot better in future.

Blake blissed out with Phillip, we know how long that lasts.

That's an interesting dynamic going on with Vanessa and Frank, Vanessa and Billy, and Vanessa and Ross.

• Members

Weird seeing Vanessa play games with Frank (to make Billy jealous), only to immediately stop when Ross walked in - a reminder of their complex history. I guess this was right before Vanessa was put into more of a matriarchal role which put her above the old schemes. Seeing how wary both she and Maureen were of Holly also interested me. They really did set Holly up in the outsider role for those first years of her comeback. 

(I can't remember if Holly and Vanessa ever interacted in 1980)

I love how nuanced the relationships between characters were in the late '80s and early '90s. GL was one of the most honest and intelligent soaps in this period.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

For those who are interested:

On this channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQypKVSe77Mdj4ARdFVD8Tg

are Guiding Light Episodes from 1982 to 1989. Im closing the gap of episodes in 1983 right now, so that we will have nearly complete years 1983-1989. There is a low amount of episodes missing. I think its about 30 missing episodes out of 1500

Please register in order to view this content

You need to click on "Playlists" to see all available episodes.

All episodes are german dubbed, but maybe its interesting for some of you.

Im on, uploading the rest of 1983 and 1986 has still 50 episodes to got

Have fun

Edited by rsclassicfanforever

• Members

There was another scene with Holly and Vanessa in that same episode with Frank..with both checking him out and wondering if they'd hate themselves in the morning.

When Vanessa first came back in mid 1989..she was written a bit like her old self.  She and Nadine's 1st meeting instantly established they wouldn't like each other.  Vanessa was more into Ross when she got back and viewed both Holly and Nadine as competition.  

In fact, Billy and Nadine originally teamed up to make sure Vanessa and Ross stayed apart.  He was interested in reuniting with Vanessa..and Nadine was casually dating Ross (while blackmailing Alan for faking being unable to walk). 

I don't recall when it became a Vanessa/Billy/Nadine triangle...with Ross put into the Holly/Roger orbit (in fact, when Holly came back she was barely cordial to Ross).

• Members

I agree...he and BE had good chemistry and despite the show trying to shoe horn him into "hunk" and romantic lead, ( I remember Curlee mentioning in an interview when she became a head writer that Harley did not fit in Reva's high heels..as they were trying to do with her and Frank is too nice to be a throw away hunk character) he was best as a friend and brother. I think that was the thing with Rick..he was best a friend and supportive family member and he kept being paired. After Abby left (and I think that was his best pairing) I would have had Rick casually date and just be a glue to keep the other characters connected.

I loved slightly bitch Van..I wish they had progressed her to strong high crust and slightly bitchy matriarch ala Alex..instead of the sighing bore she became.