Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

I get to play the chair??(I will refrain from a "sitting on" you joke.)

A great time on the show..it was all coming together..the climax of Sonni/Solita...and Roger's return along with Holly.  I wish they had made the "FBI guy"  Mike Bauer and the triangle be with Mike/Alex/Roger not boring and once again shoe horned Fletcher. Nadine's talk show was a waste of time filler. I forgot how cheesy Rusty was..who calls their sister "beautiful"???

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The show tying up storylines...Rick/Phillip/Beth..and soon Josh leaving town. I wish the soaps had done more of that later...Manny should have been written off and allowed to "rest" instead of constant Mob drama...etc. Mentions of the Matt Weiss character (so this is end of Long's tenure) and yes, Mallet and Mindy had great chemistry..and we could have avoided Nick yelling at both Mindy and Alex for years on end it seemed.  Rick and Abby should have taken the place of Ed and Mo..not a glamorous or exciting function, that of tentpoles but one GL needed.

• Members

I often think Mindy/Mallet was more of a Pam Long idea than a Curlee idea.  Long seemed more into the opposite attracts trope...imho

Watching the May 1989 episode..it's incredibly well balanced catering to the Jeva fans, the Spaulding fans, and even long time fans with roger/holly.....and the WSPR interplays started in 1989 with Holly/Nadine/Gilly.  I think Nadine had only been on a few months at that point...so I think the writers and Jean Carol were figuring out Nadine.  I think she was dating Ross at this point and scheming with Alan.

• Members

Yea, I am suprised that Gilly was created under Long and the WSPR stuff started then. I always liked the machinations there...unlike Spaulding characters were all vying for things but weren't cuthroat about it (well besides Roger.) I hate that Nadine was killed, I wanted a Nadine/Nola rivalry eventual friendship ala Absolutely Fabulous with them a Greek Chorus on the going ons  in Springfield...(Josh and Reva getting married again.. I am NOT buying them another toaster!")

• Members

I was hoping all during the spring/summer of 1989 that they were going to bring Mike Bauer back for Roger's return storyline. Phillip even called Mike at one point to discuss Roger (and it was hilarious, as Phillip asked Mike on the phone if Mike remembered him...).

I agree - Mike Bauer should have been the one who rescued Alex from the island (because he was in pursuit of "Adam Malek"), and essentially taking Fletch out of the equation, altogether. Then, when Roger was revealed, there would have been one more Bauer who had an axe to grind with Roger. I personally would have been fine with a Mike Bauer recast, since the character had been away from our screens for 5 years at that point.