Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I finally watched this episode for the first time in a long while, and I completely agree. First, Hilary's death was utterly pointless, making it two years in a row of a pointless Bauer death in order push forward a storyline (Bill Bauer's death being the other from 1983). Second, no Mike, no Hope...and I forgot to pay attention if they even mentioned Simone Kinkaid (Hilary's mother)? Charita was fantastic, as always. I guess we are lucky that Hilary even received a funeral - Bert Bauer's "funeral" episode in 1986 was an absolute travesty.

• Members

I'm making my way through those February 1991 episodes.  I'm not sure how much of this was posted before, but I think I skipped whatever bandstandmike had posted from earlier that year and started with the summer—although I always meant to go back and see how Curlee/Demorest, et al laid the groundwork for what came later.

I'm curious how far out in the middle of nowhere was Holly's (previously Reva's, I know) house supposed to be?  The way her first visitors were carrying on was surprising to me because, in later years, it seemed to be as centrally located as anywhere else in Springfield, like when Roger managed to drag himself there with a gunshot wound and hide out in her basement.  And Holly made a reference to setting up a fax machine and modem so that she could keep in touch with WSPR...was she supposed to be telecommuting or what?  I guess she was 30 years ahead of us (and technology).

In any event, I so hope there are more episodes coming and we get to see that party Nadine talked Holly into throwing there to introduce her to Springfield as the new Mrs. Billy Lewis.

• Members

Pam Long originally create 5th Street to be the down rent version of 7th Street, which was blue collar but respectable..When Harley first came on she was termed a "river rat" as she lived in the wrong side of the river. I do wish later writers had dug that up..like she she married Phillip and someone would snicker.."Wasnt she a river rat???"  Reva during her attempted suicide (and I agree with Zimmer, totally out of character) jumped from the rich side and was saved by Cain and dragged to the poor side...which is why she bought "Reva Bend." which was a dump until she let H.B. pay for renevations.  So, RevaBend was not out in the country.. in SF but the wrong side of SF. I do like Long's attention to geography and the class system....the Bauers, the Spauldings, the Chamberlines and the Lewises lived "on the hill" and then here was 7th Street and 5th Street, etc. I would think by the time Holly bought it, that area was gentrifying.

Edited by Mitch

• Members

Granted, the storyline was built on an absurd premise (that Bill Bauer, Henry Chamberlain, H.B. Lewis, Tom Reardon and Brandon Spaulding were all friendly with each other and liked to go on fishing trips together) that contradicted established history.  (For one thing, the Lewises and Spauldings weren't even IN Springfield until the 1970's and early '80's).  But, on its' face, I think it was a well-told mystery that affected all the major families in town.

And it was a damn sight better than the Maryanne Caruthers mystery, too. 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Khan

• Members

Agreed..it was at the point in the show that all the families had equal time and they all "worked" together...Reardon's blue collar...Bauer's upper middle class professionals, Lewis'  "neuvo riche" as Alex would love to say, Spauldings and Chamerlins...rich aristocratic and dysfunctional.  The forumla should never had changed. Anway..the storyline itself while as you said, very premise was absurd it was a good tight mystery (and it didnt hurt to have Mr. Tony Reardon in the center of it all..)

• Members

Fascinating.  Well, in those scenes when Holly moved in the house was...not that.  Ross made a joke about Holly being alone in the middle of the woods like in a horror movie...

Was it ever stated on-air that Holly's was supposed to be the same house where Reva lived, or is it possible they just reused the set?

• Members

And, between the resemblance between Annabelle and her mother, and Quint and Nola's involvement, it had those nice, Gothic touches that someone like Agnes Nixon would have appreciated.  I'm just sorry the writers didn't follow the same template for the mystery with Miss Piper and the Cottage of Doom.

• Members

I never understood why Nola and Quint weren't more involved with the Cottage of Doom.  Sacrilege but I would have killed off Quint in that storyline not Butch Hillary..there was nowhere to go with him. Carrie Nye threatening Nola and Nola not taking any of that crap would have been great...but they had to shoehorn annoying Fletch in..