Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

Nancy Curlee herself said she wasn't sure she would have gone down the romantic path with them, but would have liked a deeper friendship between them.

Roger's reaction to Maureen's death when Holly told him always sticks out to me. Zaslow was so good at portraying Roger's shock and despair in that scene, and then snapping back into being jealous when Holly rushed to go see Ed. Roger could be such a little boy, which I think strangely endeared him to many people (particularly women, lol). 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

If I remember correctly, she said a more complicated relationship between them and they (writers) would have to do it very carefully.  I read that any number of ways, but I do not think the intention or execution would have worked for a them too be a long term couple.  But imagine what it would have done to Ed if they had even just kissed and it went no further?

• Members

Agree.  And if bringing back Quint wasn't in the cards, then all they had to do was kill him off.  Hell, he could have been PRESUMED dead, lost on one of his archeological expeditions or something.  Suggesting he had cheated on Nola?  Quint wouldn't have done that.

• Members

I respectfully never get it when someone says that a character would NEVER cheat on someone...when it happens all the time to get people in real life...(hmmm Chris Hughes  never cheating on Nancy..Tom Horton never cheating on Alice..okay, I will go with that.) I think the problem with Nola and Quint is that they made him so much a pr*ck about it, even bringing her to Henry's funeral, and Nola being a sullen mope. That was out of character.

However, yes, I would have gone with Quint being presumed dead..(I would have it that it happened off screen during the Van/Bridget custody battle and why no one could go to her...and it would allow the character to search for him and go through a greiving process off camera) Henry goes and brings Nola back to Springfield for a visit while the kids are at school and then she promptly sees a void at both the Boardinghouse and the Reardons and at the Bauers..where she makes herself a lovable pain.  I was not wedded to Quola and think there was no where to go but to kill him off the first time around, and I thought Brown had great chemistry with Josh Evans and I would have brought him in as someone else..Chief of Police who always has Nola getting into his business...and then bring Quint back.

• Members

Another Locher Reunion 

Tune in to The Locher Room on Thursday, December 17th at 8 p.m. EST / 5 p.m. PST for a very special Deck the Zoom Guiding Light holiday reunion. Together our Springfield family will celebrate their longtime relationships with each other and with you our audience while revisiting some of our favorite Guiding Light traditions. The cast has agreed to come together for this special event to help raise awareness and money for Feeding America. School closures, job disruptions, and health risks are causing millions of Americans to turn to food banks for much-needed support right now. You can help families impacted by COVID-19 in our community by supporting our partner tonight. www.feedingamerica.org/coronavirus. Joining us for this very special holiday show are Grant Aleksander (Phillip), Laura Bell Bundy (Marah), Bryan Buffinton (Bill), Jean Carol (Nadine), Beth Chamberlin (Beth), Crystal Chappell (Olivia), Kassie DePaiva (Chelsea), Frank Dicopoulos (Frank), Beth Ehlers (Harley), Morgan Englund (Dylan), Judi Evans (Beth), Jamie Goodwin (Johnny), Melissa Hayden (Bridget), Liz Keifer (Blake), Jessica Leccia (Natalia), Joy Lenz (Michelle), Rachel Miner (Michelle), Michael O'Leary (Rick), Robert Newman (Josh), Saundra Santiago (Carmen), Peter Simon (Ed), Tina Sloan (Lillian), Paul Anthony Stewart (Danny), Krista Tesreau (Mindy), Jerry verDorn (Ross), Yvonna Kopacz-Wright (Mel) and Kim Zimmer (Reva).

• Members

The problem was the magic was gone...Brown and Tylo didn't have much chemistry when he came back. I think Quint is a problematic character...almost more a plot point then a real character and he really didn't flourish outside Marland's gothic storyline. Though, they never wrote well for him after Marland left so he could have returned more adventerous and rough hewn on his second run. If it didn't work then he and Nola split up as he wants to travel the world on digs and she is tired of it. "Quinton, I really cannot stand to be kidnapped one more time by one of your rivals..I am getting too old for that!!!"

• Members

From watching their goodbye episodes in spring 1985..you could see the writing on the wall regarding Quint and NOLA.  Some couples aren't meant to stay together forever.  I think Long tried to write for them...but by mid 1984..it was difficult.

So I would have had NOLA come back in 1995 eccentric with a hint of melancholy..and regrouping at the Boarding House.

• Members

I don't know that Long tried all that hard..after they were married and Eli Simms was over...they were sidelined.  I have no idea why they didn't get the Cabin Mystery...(I would have had Nola and Quint move into the cabin) or at least be more involved.  A mystery and ghosts and Nola wasn't all over it???

• Members

He would have been a good fit as one of Carmen's henchmen (conspiring and then knocking her off) and NOT Roger's son.  I also never noticed the southern lilt in his voice and I can never forget his..flirty scene with Josh of all people...weird but interesting casting.Things could have come together, Blake joining forces with her brother, Ross caught in the middle but having antogonistic relationship with him and I love Togoni's tough street version of Dinah..."Well, hello Manners, did ya forget yar talkin to the mayor?"