Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Soap Alums Come Together For Charity - Soap Opera Digest

Alan Locher is hosting a trio of soap alums on his YouTube show, The Locher Room, to benefit the nonprofit organization, Chrysalis. Real-life girlfriends and former soap stars, Rebecca Gayheart (ex-Hannah, LOVING), Sharon Leal (ex-Dahlia, GUIDING LIGHT) and Yvonna Kopacz-Wright (ex-Mel, GL) will participate in the live interview and discuss their two-plus decades as friends, motherhood and their careers to help raise money for the organization. This interview will take place on Thursday March 11, 3 p.m. ET and can be viewed herefor the full story. Chrysalis is a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a pathway to self-sufficiency for homeless and low-income individuals by providing the resources and support needed to find and retain employment. 

• Members

Which is why I said that I watched because of the actors involved.

Do I wish some other soap adjacent person had hosted? Yes, but sadly no one else did and I stull think the actors themselves had interesting things to say about the topics they discussed.

More than this, I wish someone would have hosted a livestream or video discussion on the blindspots as well as the bright spots of AA characterization and involvement in daytime soaps, but no one with a platform seems interested in having that discussion.

• Members

Sad news. Gil was a consistent highlight for me when he played Hawk, even though on paper the character would not have amounted to much. He and Marj Dusay even made the "Queenie" banter charming, somehow. That was when I first warmed to Marj as Alex. His best was usually saved for scenes with "Sister" (Reva) - Gil and Kim Zimmer had something special. Even though he wasn't there for the finale I'm glad they had Hawk return briefly in that last year. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

This is indeed sad news. Before many GL and ATWT videos were forced down (or coerced), I was watching a lot of GL and even revisiting the late 80s and early 90s we era and I enjoyed Hawke's relationship with his kids, especially Reva and Roxie. Just last year, or the end of 2019, I read his Wikipedia entry and couldn't help but notice his advanced years but thought it was great that he was still around and kicking. Now, that has changed. At least, we still have his performances. R.I.P.