Y&R: Chloe IS ******'s Daughter!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Okay, now this is just getting silly.

Clearly, the Chloe/Kate thing has pushed some button in Dee that's representative of a much bigger issue. Probably Bill Bell's death and the realization that Y&R is just like any other soap opera on the air at the moment, and is now being written by committee instead of the master... the same way the rest of us had to come to terms with that for our soaps in the mid-90's. It's like arguing with someone over Tammin Sursok... it's just a losing battle. They're never going to look at it any other way, so let it go.

• Members

Not really. Cane is Phillip just totally rewrote history to the Nth degree. I mean Phillip III gave Jill blood when she was shot because she has a rare blood type. It was clearly a plot point to try and drum up some drama for Kay and jill whick was lackluster at best.

Now with Chloe being Kate, it explains almost everything Chloe has done. She no doubt damn near hates Kay and Jill because she may feel that her mother working for them resulted in her being put in boarding schools so Esther wouldn't have to deal with her. And what better way to ger back at them by inserting herself into their lives via Cane and "his" baby. It's obvious that Chloe is searching for the love she didn'tget growing up and will do whatever she thinks she has to do to get it. Kinda reminds me of Phyllis' story. Had all the materialistic things she may have wanted but never had the love of a family she craved.

• Members

The fact is TPTB are sacrificing LONG established characters needlessly to prop a TALENTED newbie to engender sympathy for her character when the ACTRESS is capable enough of doing that on her own.

And that this fanfic bullshi.t "twist" is acceptable for newbie viewers who have been conditioned to constantly sacrifice character over content cause that's what their soaps do.

EH is better than that, The Chancellor Legacy is better than that & Y&R is better than that.

• Members

I'm giving this a chance for one reason.....

The two people writing the story. I can't base my like/dislike on a plot point when Lynn Latham, one of daytime's worst writers, came up with that Cane bullshit and MB and HS came up with this.

• Members

No it doesn't.

Esther AND Katie are mentioned in Katherine's will.

Katherine is her GODMOTHER.

Esther AND Katherine have visited her fairly regularly.

Why would Kate go through ALL that trouble to trap CANE into marrying her when she KNOWS Katherine has provided for her mother AND her?

Why would Kate NOT feel loved by her mother when her mother & godmother have done nothing BUT take care of her?

Kate was in boarding school LONG before Jill moved into The Chancellor home & Esther does NOT work for Jill.

She DID get that love growing up.

Esther putting her job before Kate is a load of manure.

Oh no, Roman.

That's exactly what irritates me.

EH is a GREAT actress & she's done wonders with the part.

But this vomit worthy retcon is needless cause the actress is talented enough to make the part work. As is.

Tricia Cast did it.

• Members

I mean come on! Esther didn't even know her daughter was in town for goodness sakes! Now that doesn't scream "mother all about ehr child". And Kate is in Kay's will? Well I'll be damned that means she really is up on all things Kate. I bet Phillip IV is still in her will too but she probably don't know what the hell he's up to either.

Bottom line is that Esther DID put her job above Kate. No way a mother worth her salt would LET her employer send HER child to boarding school. Esther could have still raised Kate while working for Kay.

• Members

How COULD Esther have known when a retcon was done?

That's like asking Victor to KNOW Adam was in trouble Sri Lanka instead of with Hope.

Yep.

No.

Esther did NOT put her job above Katie.

Esther ALLOWED Katherine to send Kate to boarding school in order to give her a top notch education which Esther wouldn't not be able to afford on her own cause Katherine considered them FAMILY.

Which she did.

• Members

I'm not disagree with the facts that Deee Dee and others state. YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. Indeed, my first reaction to the Chloe reveal was a similar irritation. This doesn't fit with the characters of Kay and Esther as we have known them, and it seems to soon to foist another one of these on us (on the heels of Victor's reversal; Adam not being in Sri Lanka; Cane being Phillip III, Brad being on the run from Nazis all these years, Jill being Kay's daughter). I completely agree.

I do point out that these retcons (and the brilliant one, of Kevin being Michael's brother) have been going on since AT LEAST Jack Smith. I am not thinking enough now, but I'll bet there were some retcons that went back to Kay Alden and even Bill Bell.

Anyway, here is the thing. Esther and Kate are trivial background characters. Esther has appeared infrequently for years, and Kate has (to my knowledge) rarely been seen onscreen after infancy.

This is a place where we have to make some "adjustments" to accommodate this story. However, they are not significant adjustments, since most of Kate's life happened off screen. IN ADDITION, the claim that Esther was neglectful need not have been based in FACT. Instead, since Chloe is a little crazy, her perceptions of her mother and godmother and mother's devotion to work could all be warped. However, they explain HER motivation to stay away, to change her body and her life (so that she would have been gone so long, and look so different, that godmother Kay didn't recognize her).

Let us also not canonize Kay. Kay generally deals with Esther using a disdainful affection---and Kay is a bit self-involved (less than in the early years). So, perhaps there were seeds of Kate's feeling neglected there.

But, REGARDLESS, it takes VERY LITTLE adjustment of our onscreen history to accommodate this.

Now, the question becomes: Do the benefits outweigh the costs? Here, we'll see. I'm inclined to say that if this story (a) gives us more Kay and Esther, (B) gives us more Jill calling Esther a twit, © give us more backstory for Chloe, and (d) links the talented Hendricksen to a core family....bring it on!

In the history of soap retcons (unabortion, anyone? Kay is Jill's mama?), this is small, trivial, and can lead to a lot of fun. I don't see why I should resist it...quite in contrast to Victor's vasectomies (which fueled YEARS of story, and it is unbelievable his snips were ignored and then that his subsequent fertility was so facilely explained).

This also explains why the Chancellors might actually try to help Chloe...not to instantly trash her (like they did with Nina). She is strangely one of their extended clan. Love-and-hate is always much more compelling that just hate.

• Members

Michael & Kevin as brothers worked cause Kevin was a NEW character.

Yes. It. Does.

Her claim is the ENTIRE basis of her motivation for EVERYTHING she's done since she hit town.

They do not.

In fact it runs counter to EVERYTHING she HAS claimed thus far.

Her mother did NOT abandon her nor did her mother ignore her.

That only was introduced when they wanted to shoehorn the actress into the part.

This is the same crap TPTB pulled with Heather.

Who canonized her?

Stating FACTS does NOT canonize a character.

Putting someone AND THEIR CHILD in one's will & bankrolling their schooling is NOT "disdainful affection"

When Katherine disdains someone they know it.

Jill is a perfect example.

Since when?

...Only for newbies.

This is a idiotic move by TPTB to make a promising character into an established role & shoehorn her into an established family instead of giving three talented vets & one talented newbie something to do WITHOUT sacrificing the integrity of pre-existing legacy characters.

It's lazy, extremely shortsighted & beyond insulting to all characters involved.

No.

Nina BECAME an integral part of The Chancellor Legacy solely through the strength of Tricia Cast.

Archived