Y&R: Chloe IS ******'s Daughter!

• Members

Um..people's appearance change over time. They could just explain that Chloe err Kate used to be chubbier and what not. That could be the reason why Kay didn't recognize her, because Chloe, err Kate changed her appearance, which is why she's so obsessed to staying fit and looking good. Look at the difference between the actor that plays NuNoah as a child, and how he looks today. It could work, and once again, it takes away nothing from the history of the show.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

DTC is saying that Chloe used to be chubby with braces. I've seen people and not recognized them later because of weight-loss, plastic surgery and just getting older. This is plausible. There's a great many examples on Y&R that stretch belief - it's a soap! And I agree that this wasn't the original design of Chloe - I mean she was slated to be on for just a few days when she first came on. But the writers found a sensational actress and they're milking her character and giving her some familial bonds with a twist.

After watching the episode today, i have to say my only concern is that Kate Linder might not be up to having a big story. Her acting has always been one-note and I worry that she won't be able to give this s/l the dramatic oomph it needs.

• Members

^Need...doesn't need. Doesn't really matter to me. As long as it's executed well and so far (we're on day one!) it has been. It's entertaining me! Plus - we don't know everything yet so maybe down the line this "need" will become more apparent. I get your point Dee - making someone family for the sake of making someone family is bad. But I don't think that anyone can fairly judge this till the s/l plays out.

• Members

I understand your point, Dee - that a fine actress doesn't need a family connection. That makes sense to me. But to call it "propping" is a little overboard. I don't think it's propping, it's just adding another layer. Maybe it's just a case of semantics, but I think this adds a sorely-needed element to the "Trapping a man into marriage with a baby" story that we've seen over and over (and over) again on soaps. Dragging Jill vs. Esther vs. Kay into it this way really adds dimensions I (for one) am interested in seeing explored. I don't disagree with the basis for your argument, but you seem so narrowly focused on hating it that you're possibly not looking at the good that can come out of this development.

Or maybe I'm wrong.

• Members

That's exactly what it is.

It's an unnecessary "twist" to generate sympathy & create family ties for an actress who is talented enough to do both on her own.

No.

This just severely undercuts EH's talent.

No.

It serves only to continue to ruin the integrity of three veteran characters & force their portrayers into an unnecessary story cause TPTB are too lazy to utilize them with any degree of substance & originality.

You are.

You seem so narrowly focused on trying to justify an inane, shortsighted "twist" cause you're new & willing to sacrifice quality.

• Members

This does feel a little tacked-on, a little last-minute...

The only thing that would salvage this is to bring on Eden Riegel as Mac and make her and Chloe, like, totally bi for each other. Think of it: Billy, Cane, AND Mac? It's one big Chancellor gangbang for the ages.

And it would be quite "original" casting, too...

• Members

I really don't understand when it became okay for people to just say "No. You are wrong" when television shows always have been, and always will be, subjective. I see it over and over again here, and I just don't get it. I think a lot of TV shows are terrible that others like here, but I would never say "No. You are wrong" Nor would I ever accuse anyone of saying something because they're "new". Isn't the whole point trying to get new viewers for these shows that are dying?

I can see I'm fighting a losing battle. So I will stop. I tried really hard to step in others' shoes and see where they're coming from, because I feel it helps me become a better viewer, and have a better understanding of what fans from all different walks of life want. But in the end, all I'm getting is "You're new, and you're wrong." And that's just a tremendously meaningless debate to get into.

• Members

I agree. Look, I was irritated by the twist, because Kay would have known Kate. Coming so fast on the heels of the Victor retcon...it was irritating.

Hendricksen could be talented to the heavens, but there was little way of rescuing the tedious plot she was stuck in. Now, explaining her past as the PERCEPTION of abandonment (even if it is not true...Esther may have been attentive and loving, but dysfunctional Kate might not have realized it), AND tying it to a longstanding family feud...it has ramped up my investment in Chloe 100-fold.

This is NOT about the twist (though I really enjoyed the twist). This is about the potential YEARS of story it can bring, long after this particular "Lane" dud is over.

Boom...eh...no!

I am with you brimike! I wish you'd not take these absolute proclamations so seriously. They are meant to be provocative...in that they succeed...but I can be just as absolute (were it my nature) to proclaim the "other guys'" as wrong.

I'm probably too trained as a psychologist, but I sure wish folks would say "I understand what you are saying, but I disagree because..." rather than "No. Your brain is defective" :).

I am NOT new (to SON I am, but not Y&R)...and I see nothing wrong with this twist. There is simply no absolute here.

I, sadly, must high-five too. Even though I don't like that it implies people are sorting into "teams". That would be destructive. I enjoy all the opinions...even the wrong ones :ph34r:

• Members

No.

TPTB are more comfortable ruining the integrity of the show & insulting long time viewers to chase new viewers & needlessly prop newbies actors/characters (talented or otherwise) instead of doing the work that made past Daytime actors/characters into Daytime icons.

If that is acceptable to you as a newbie that's fine.

But don't try to pass your willingness to ignore the established history of a show cause it makes it easier for you to swallow what TPTB want to shovel.

• Members

I must echo DaytimeFan and say bravo. At one point, we were all "new" to a show, it doesn't make our opinions any less valuable or our reasons for liking certain twists or whatever any less important than a "lifer".

Seriously....wow. I thought we were better than this.

Archived