Y&R: Chloe IS ******'s Daughter!

• Members

The problem here is that both DeeeDee and brimike mean well, but brimike is too diplomatic and lenient, while DeeeDee is too passionate and direct.

I don't know why people got so offended because DeeeDee doesn't like the Chloe = Kate thing. She just doesn't. You do. Get. Over. It.

And, brimike, start posting the negative stuff.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You're right Ryan it doesn't.

But newbies need to quit getting self righteous when long time viewers say something is OOC or extremely shortsighted twists don't fit.

Daytime used to pride itself on cultivating long time viewers.

Now it's convenient to toss them aside when it's easier to ignore history than it is to add to it.

• Members

But Ryan, it gets worse. Some people actually view themselves as one of the few, true lifers....nobody else can have their experience and history with a show! I have seen some posters say "you are lying...you have not been watching a certain show for as long as you claim". When did it become acceptable to call people liars??

Of course, this is done for the purposes of self-elevation...to proclaim by dint of one's history that one is the "sole true arbiter of historical knowledge".

This ignores that (a) all history is an interpretation; (B) all memory is subjective and biased and spotty; and © history is itself fluid and flexible. Especially in fiction, it has always been possible for things to happen behind the curtain.

When you couple this false view of superiority as a lifer with the refusal to believe others' historical ties to a show....it becomes clear that you are either dealing with a poster who (a) has adopted a persona to be provocative, or (B) truly cannot tolerate alternative points of view. Which then makes it odd to be in a place of debate and tolerant open discussion.

"Newbies" offer fresh perspectives which can be unburdened by history. They view things through the lens of how they are...not some idealized notion of how they used to be or ought to be.

Which is my verbose way of saying "it's all good" and "can't we all be friends" :-). Oops...somebody's gonna call me a Pollyanna again....

• Members

I still don't see how this twist is bad. It's not even really a rewrite, and when was the LAST time we saw Katherine or Esther with Kate? It's really not that much out of the realm of possiblity.

Besides I see it all the time where people say new characters need some kind of tie to the show they're on. I think this is a good tie to give Chloe, imagine the dynamics that come from it. I mean this will be great storyline fodder for Katherine/Jill/Esther for YEARS to come

• Members

And some newbies are so threatened by lifelong fans that they act like they're "long time fans" when they're clearly not so they can justify whatever newbie actor they find hawt or swill the TPTB want to shovel.

When they make statements that completely undermine their claim.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Which is convenient when FACTS begin to be discussed.

Or one could post long tl;dr paragraphs attempting to justify POV's & inane plot "twists" that hold no relation to the history & characters of an established show in a desperate effort to put themselves on the same wavelength as real longtime viewers.

Which is mighty convenient when they have absolutely no frame of reference to how things were were or how they should be nor do they care of what existed before as long except when they can use it to justify whatever inane plot dependent story they've decided to fixate on this month.

• Members

It is when the character SHOULD be recognized & isn't.

It is when the character has pre-existing ties that are trashed for no reason at all.

It is when established characters have to be trashed in order to make it work.

It really is.

Liz Hendrickson is a strong enough actress to create those on her own.

Other actress have done it.

Why should she be exempt?

One word.

Nina.

• Members

There are plenty of people who grew up with me that don't recognize me as an adult because i look very different. It's not all that rare. Katherine hasn't seen Kate in years since she was a child. Being spoiler free, I enjoyed the twist and my mouth dropped completely when she said Kate. And yes I've been watching Y&R since well before 2004 because if I hadn't, the Kate twists wouldn't have meant a thing to me.

Archived