Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

My viewing has been...hmm, let's call it sporadic (

Please register in order to view this content

), the last months. But since I'm currently home sick I thought I'd look in and see where we're at in the episodes airing here.

And it didn't take me more than half an episode to remember why this show infuriates me so much now.... Dingles everywhere. 

Apparently we're right after Graham's death now, and Marlon's been arrested for his murder. Now, I don't know if this is just me reading too much into it, but at one point it almost felt like the show was poking fun at the Dingles and their frequent visits to jail. (That can't be right though, can it? Making fun of the Dingles? ). April wanted to visit her father and she asked Belle what it was like inside, and it almost felt like it was a sly dig at the fact that almost every Dingle has been arrested at some point. Much like a later scene where Paddy was unsure what he could bring Marlon when they visited, and Chas immediately thought of chocolate (something he could use for bargaining), showing that this was a situation she was very familiar with. (Which frankly Paddy should be too, considering how long he's been involved with the Dingle clan)

But the thing that actually made me switch channels was a scene in the Woolpack. Kim and Jamie came in for a drink, and Chas and Mandy stood behind the bar (uugh, it makes me ill to even write that) and acted like some moral pillars of virtue. It was nauseating.  Kim left and Jamie defended her, saying that Marlon was the one who was arrested, not Kim. Then Belle showed up and in a shocked voice asked Jamie if he was accusing her cousin of murder.... and Jamie just stood there!  

The obvious retort would have been that they're accusing his mother of murder, but no... not a word. It made me want to throw something at the tv. The hypocrisy of the Dingles is very much alive and it was always one of their worst traits (among the many, many, many, many others....)

I can't stand the sight of them anymore. They make me sick to my stomache.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

They will be having 6 lockdown episodes, exploring quarantine life and I guess moving stories along, I don't know. It's a very compelling concept. I wish they had some different characters involved, but a few interest me (namely Sam/Lydia). 

https://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/emmerdale-phases-back-filming-recording-lockdown-episodes

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Just caught part of an episode of the 1980s UK sitcom Duty Free (produced by Yorkshire Television) and Frazer Hines was on it playing a womanizing caricature of himself, trying to seduce both of the married female leads. One of the husbands on the show also kept calling him 'Joe' despite Frazer Hines explaining that Joe was the character he played on Emmerdale Farm.

The episode was from September 1984 during the time that Frazer was off the show for a few years, and one of the female characters does say that he has left Emmerdale Farm.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Betty did fit in from the start, felt like she'd been there from the start, even though she came in at such a crazy time for Emmerdale. Paula could play anything from slapstick comedy to high drama, and always had such an easy onscreen rapport with those around her. As Emmerdale moved further and further away from family and community, Betty still embodied those crucial ties. 

I'm glad Paula spoke up about the show's decay as she was leaving. 

I'm not sure if they will kill Betty off (they still haven't had anything about Annie) but if they do I hope they will do so with dignity. 

• Members

R.I.P Paula  

Please register in order to view this content

I hope they don't, and frankly, even though it hurts to say it, I almost wish they don't do anything for Annie either. What would be the point? There's hardly anyone left with any connection whatsoever to Annie, so it would just feel hollow anyway. The mere thought of any kind of funeral for Annie with mostly Dingles in attendance makes me sick.