Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

I love it!  

Please register in order to view this content

All those familiar, beloved characters: Annie, Jack, Joe, Sarah, Kathy, Seth.....

It's a bit sad seeing Zoe though, with Leah's recent death  

And they remembered Seth's family! In his later years on the show the fact that he had two sons was completely forgotten. I wonder if this was the last time they were mentioned.....

Nice to see the friendship between Kim and Seth as well. It might have seem an unusual relationship, but it worked beautifully and added a different aspect to Kim's character when she later was turned into the superbitch of Emmerdale.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sheila Mercier has passed away. 

https://www.atvtoday.co.uk/139345-ytv/

Such a treasure of an actress, and Annie was a tremendous character. So complex. Steely, warm, unforgiving but compassionate. Always one for respect, but willing to buck convention. The Farm years would never have been the same without her, and the show has never been as good without her. 

I hope the ITV3 reruns have taught a new generation just how good she was.

• Members

I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later..... 

RIP dear sweet Sheila.

Annie remains the heart and soul of Emmerdale, even though she's been gone for 25 years (except for a few visits). The show has not been the same since she left.

I wonder how they will deal with Sheila's death on the show. With only Victoria left of Annie's family (just writing that makes me feel ill ) will they even bother to acknowledge it?

• Members

I know it won't happen, but I wish they would take this opportunity to bring some old characters back to bolster the show. First and foremost, my old dream of re-introducing the Skilbecks. Bring Matt and Dolly back for Annie's funeral together with Sam and his family.  They can then settle in Emmerdale, while Matt and Dolly can visit occasionally. And bring either Kathy or Sandie back as well (or why not both? 

), with families.

(And get rid of some Dingles!!)

• Members

They simply have to do something. Unless they do what "The Bold and the Beautiful" has done with Sally Spectra after Darlene Conley's death and have her live on off-screen.

But Annie has been too important for that treatment. They re-named the village Emmerdale after the plane crash in honour of Annie and the Sugden's for heaven's sake!

• Members

^^

Sandie 

Such a waste that they never brought her back to the show. When Jack died it would have been perfectly natural for Robert to try to find his long-lost older sister, and so Sandie could have been re-introduced when Robert returned to Emmerdale.

It's amazing that they just let Sandie disappear like this, and that she's never been in touch with Robert (that we know of at least). After the deaths of Pat and Jackie you'd think she would be keen to stay in contact with her little brother....

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Apparently Emmerdale beat both Coronation Street and EastEnders (and Doctor Who) in the ratings for New Year's Day.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emmerdale/a30378020/new-years-day-2020-ratings-emmerdale-coronation-street-eastenders-doctor-who/

But is it really anything to celebrate? Only 5 million viewers....

• Members

James Hooton (Sam Dingle) celebrates 25 years on the show, and does it by posting a picture of himself with a photo of Amos and Mr. Wilks.....

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emmerdale/a30470970/emmerdale-cast-james-hooton-major-milestone-sam-dingle/

Why? 

Sam is not particularly connected to the Woolpack, and both Amos and Henry were gone from Emmerdale before he turned up.

And it goes without saying that Sam isn't in the same league as those two Emmerdale icons.  

Furthermore, the fact that this useless character has lasted 25 years is not something to celebrate...quite the opposite in my opinion. 

• Members

Possibly.

But in a post made to celebrate his 25 years of working on Emmerdale it would have been more fitting to post a picture of himself and someone like Steve Halliwell (Zak) or Paul Loughran (Butch), since they were the ones he worked with.

Henry had been dead for 3 years when Sam first showed up, and he never appeared in an episode together with Amos either, (Amos only appeared in 6 episodes after Sam made his debut, in June and July 1995, and Sam was absent during those episodes) so why choose to post a picture of them on this occasion?