Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

It's wash, rinse and repeat with this show now. It's not that long ago that Lachlan held Rebecca captive, and now they're repeating the same tired story with Pierce and Vanessa. 

Please register in order to view this content

If this was the reason they brought Pierce back then why bother?

And they finally did what I expected right from the start...put Jamie with Belle. I guess I should give them some credit, because it took them a little longer than I thought, but here we are......

Why does every story on this show have to involve a Dingle?  

I guess it's a bit hard to avoid though since that wretched family dominates the show so completely....

I'm really starting to lose interest due to the Dingle dominance. It's more of a chore to watch now, and life is too short to waste watching something you don't enjoy anymore. It hurts a little since I have so many fond memories of this show, and it's been a part of my life for so long.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I watched his exit last week. Very rushed. Strange. I always liked Doug but this last stint never got him right. Still, he had his moments, and at least it was a more positive goodbye than the last time. I'll miss him though, especially his relationship with Laurel.

• Members

So, apparently Emmerdale will only cut one episode per week (too bad, I wish they would cut more), and work with a reduced cast and crew. No castmembers over 70 for instance.... Oh dear, how will they manage?  I mean Eric, Diane, Rodney and Pearl are so prominent on the show....

This must cause some panic and heavy re-writing..... 

• Members

I don't know if this has been mentioned here or not, but Amazon Prime has, I'm assuming, the complete run of episodes from 1993-1996 available with a Prime membership (not as part of Britbox). I wish they had 70s episodes.

Wow, how did I miss this? First, I hear of Neville Buswell's passing several months after the fact, now this. RIP, sweet Sheila. I've loved all of my spells of Emmerdale obsession over the years, and they've always centered squarely on the Farm years. I simply have no interest in anything after Annie and the Sugdens were sidelined. What a great, strong, take-no-sht matriarch, classic in every sense of the word.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

@All My Shadows, the Emmerdale episodes on Amazon are brand new. I was shocked when I saw that and it looks like they are complete years. Considering it's a pretty big stretch and I've enjoyed the show before I've decided to watch it. The first few episodes were VERY VERY slow. Production values and styling on the show are also very dated. I struggled so much that I decided to research this period and it seems where the episodes start is when the show was trying to transition from a slow rural soap to the Emmerdale we know today. Towards the end of the first batch of episodes is their big plane crash story I heard about. This allowed them to get rid of dead weight and amp things up and from what I've seen it was successful. Knowing that's coming I'm going to stick with it at least a couple months into the post-plane crash show.

• Members

Ah yes, the plane crash..... the beginning of the decline.   

I know most people won't agree with me, but to me the show was much better before the plane crash. It was a show with a distinct identity that made it special. Of course that didn't evaporate over night, but slowly over the years it got more and more toned down, and now Emmerdale has virtually lost everything that made it unique and is virtually undistinguishable from Coronation Street or EastEnders.