Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

Mentioning it would be ok, although I do think that Laurel would be more appropriate for Betty. They were almost like mother and daughter.

It's funny, once upon a time I had a dream that when Annie passed away it would be a perfect time to re-introduce some characters from the past and give the show a new lease on life. Now I just want all my favourites from the past to stay as far away from Emmerdale as possible.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-05-25/emmerdale-star-paula-tilbrook-i-asked-the-producer-not-to-have-betty-murdered/

“I did ask Kate Oates, our producer, to not have me murdered,” Tilbrook says. “I was fed up of murders. It’s a very dangerous place to be. You’re better off in the Bronx than Emmerdale village. And she said to me, ‘oh no, of course I won’t’. And she hasn’t. It’s a proper happy ending. Who doesn’t like a happy ending?”

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

^^

I wish I could say that I'm surprised, but I'm not. The Sugden family have been treated like an afterthought for years.

It breaks my heart though to think about the kind of send-off Annie will get compared to the one she deserves.....

Please register in order to view this content

I wonder if Ryan Hawley (or maybe Karl Davies) will appear as Robert at least? 

But naturally Elizabeth Estensen won't be able to appear,  or Christopher Chittell. And even if they wanted to neither Frederick Pyne nor Jean Rogers will be able to either. (Not that I think that anyone in charge at Emmerdale nowadays would even entertain the idea to include Matt and/or Dolly. It's doubtful they even know how important they were in Annie's life)

I will honour Annie in my own way, by watching old episodes on Youtube.

• Members

I'm hoping Ryan, Karl, or Kelvin (who seems to still be friendly with people at Emmerdale) will cameo in some way, but the timing is just about the worst. I guess this shows just how little they care - not that we should have expected more.

• Members

^^

I knew that realistically this is pretty much what could be expected, but..... there was this part of me that still held out hope for something better. I mean, we're talking about saying farewell to Annie Sugden here. The very heart and soul of Emmerdale.  That is what she is, and will always be, at least to me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

This is dreadful. I have not had access to the series for a long time, so I cannot watch it any longer. The "older characters," therefore, remain forefront in my mind. Killing off an iconic character like Annie, the original hub of the wheel, may be inevitable, but NOW? When a respectful and full-blown tribute to the actress and the character will be basically impossible. What a bitter disappointment. 

• Members

It is sad.

However, I don't think they would have done justice to Annie or Sheila even under the best of circumstances. Celebrating and honouring this shows past is not high on the agenda for the people in charge, and hasn't been for a very, very long time.

Edited by I Am A Swede