Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

Thank you for that. How I miss the old Emmerdale. Whenever I watch old clips like this I'm reminded of how good the show once was and how bad it is now.

And yes, if Archie is in heaven, I'm sure it's Dingle-free..... 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

It's awfully quiet in here at the moment....

I don't think the show is all that bad right now. Sure, Jacob is really testing my patience, but it's realistic. And the misery being heaped upon Victoria is exhausting, and feels slightly un-necessary.

On a more sentimental note. Today marks the 40th anniversary of the last appearance on the show of my personal favourite, Katharine Barker as Dolly Skilbeck #1.  

Edited by I Am A Swede

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

It's been very quiet in here recently.....

It's understandable though, because the show has been so depressing lately. They really need to find a balance between the heavy dramatic stuff and more light-hearted stories. Too much doom and gloom makes it very exhausting to watch.

I really miss a character like Val, who always managed to lighten things up a bit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm liking Debbie being on the background and Victoria having more screentime. Shame about Sandra Marvin/Jessie, but Megan is one exit that feels like years coming. Maybe it's because the show feels sedated just going through the motions at times but I sometimes find myself feeling it is flooded with people that should have been gone years ago but stay because the actors just won't leave. Case in point, although I do like her a lot, Rhona. They just have her go through these random pairings, what a mismatch she and Pete were, and now I suppose they're going to move towards a new pairing with Graham (I'm a month behind). Pete doesn't work that well either. Jimmy and Nicola, I love them but they never seem to know what to do with them. Laurel and Jai, just another random couple although not completely without charm but it does feel like "here are two people we didn't know what to do with so there you go".
Kim's return improved over the months and it feels like they could tell a new great era of stories with her but what they do with her is a letdown. Jamie is nice but he pales in comparison to Joe. Kim blackmailing Cain into almost having sex with her, that was messy. Then her and Pete?
On the newer additions front, Matty is always great to watch, as is the Amy recast. But what have they done with the kids? Noah, Gabby, Amelia, Sarah, all went from appearing quite regularly to disappearing overnight.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I read about this yesterday. I was shocked. I think, along with others, I assumed it was meant jokingly until video came out. 

Not that it really matters, but I thought the actor had a lot of potential and Ellis could have been the solid, mostly likeable, long-term character Emmerdale needed. 

This is the third ugly incident in a year, after the accusations and trial against the actor who played Daz (which I believe he was recently found not guilty for), the sacking of the woman who played Manpreet's daughter over racist tweets. Four if you count all of that mess with the actor in Victoria's rape story. 

The show is becoming a real mess behind the scenes, similar to what was going on a decade ago with actors being sacked and suspended year after year. At least back then the onscreen quality was stronger. 

Not that that has anything to do with this, but

• Members

I hadn't heard about the controversy around Kris Mochrie (Victoria's rapist)! How insensitive of Emmerdale to cast someone with that background in such a role! 

As for the spoiler, I guess it could be a sort of compensation for Jai after Eliza left with Megan..... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...