Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

So, Maya and Jacob finally did the deed.... I was beginning to wonder if the show would go all the way, since they've been teasing it for so long now. But if they hadn't it would have lessened the impact of the story. It's a bit funny to read the reactions from the viewers. They feel sick and uncomfortable and want the story to be over.... Well, duh! 

Please register in order to view this content

It's supposed to be uncomfortable and difficult to watch. That's sort of the whole point. It's the best thing with the show right now, and the best story since Ashley's illness and death.

To bad a certain bitch from the past is coming back soon, which undoubtedly will push most other stories not involving her or the Dingles to the backburner.     

• Members

The big Emmerdale news recently is without a doubt that Lisa Dingle is on her way out. Jane Cox is leaving the show after 23 years, and Lisa will be killed off.

It should be sad news that such a longtime character is leaving, but I can't feel any sadness about this. When Lisa first appeared I quite liked her, and for a while she was a voice of sanity (sort of) in the Dingle household. But as the years went by she sadly became more and more Dinglefied, a fate she now shares with Moira, and it has now come to the point where I won't miss her when she's gone.

And that's the only sad thing about her departure.

• Members

As expected, Joseph Tate is alive.... I guess they thought it was clever writing but this makes Graham's behaviour last year completely baffling. Why did he fall apart the way he did when he knew all along that Joseph was actually alive? It does make one wonder if this wasn't the original story, but that they changed it. Much like they obviously changed the original story for Joseph when Claire King agreed to come back as Kim....

Speaking of that. Are we really supposed to care about a feud between Kim and Cain? If it was the Kim of old, then yes I would care. But now, who gives a damn?! I could care less about this caricature of Kim, and Cain is, and has always been, a loathsome thug.

The show was quite watchable for a while, but now it's going through a very rough patch.... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Rhona and Pete are the definition of filler, and they still feel like a random pairing.

Everything about Maya is terrible.

I find Kim's face quite distracting still (it's all because of plastic surgery right?), and all the "she's OLD!!" jokes are wearing thin as well as her asking everyone she meets "and YOU are??". I'd hoped her real return would be less botched than the ludicrous short one last year but it doesn't seem to be going that way. I fail to understand all the focus on Graham, despite him being played by a fine actor there doesn't seem to be any reason why he's on so much. And what kind of work does Priya exactly do at Home Farm?!

Charity and Vanessa are about the only thing that feels real these days. And I hope they do well by Jessie and her sons as they work as the new family in the village which was needed.

• Members

I dipped in again to see how they'd handle Kim's permanent return and dipped right back out again; there is nothing compelling or even logical about the way they're attempting to integrate her back into the show. Practically begging Cain for sex, nearly getting into a fist fight with fish wife Moira and propping up the bar at the Woolpack like an old lush. All while being presented as a femme fatale for the ages. It's so coarse and crass and lacking any kind of realism - not helped by her floating around the cardboard and glitter Home Farm set the rest of the time.

It's third rate Footballers' Wives stuff and the styling does Claire King absolutely no favours. No wealthy, sophisticated woman who lives in rural Yorkshire dresses that way (even if they have come out of prison) nor does it correspond with the character as she was in the 1990s. The hair, makeup and nails make her look like a hard woman who spends half her life on sun beds and smokes 40 a day. Ironically, she actually looked better on Corrie when  she was playing exactly that kind of character.

• Members

It would have been better if Kim's son had returned before her arrival, fallen for some girl she didn't approve of (not a Dingle), and then arrived, as preferably not such a cold hearted b. However, Kim's behavior in Emmerdale currently is so puzzling. I never quite understood how or why she would be in Joe's orbit in the first place or want him dead. 

• Members

After the fiasco of Kim's return last fall I didn't think it could get worse, but boy did they prove me wrong.... 

This is so, so bad....  Kim's legacy has gone straight to hell, and this once iconic character is now reduced to a joke. It's sickening and I hate it. Hate, hate, hate it!! 

The sad thing is that part of the show is actually decent, but the other, bigger part is bordering on unwatchable.

If I was in charge I would cut more than half of the cast (Kim, Graham, the Dingles, Paddy, Liv) and rebuild the show with the remains. The only Dingle I would possibly keep is Charity. (I know, strange coming from me, right?  ) But of all the Dingles I think she would benefit the most from being separated from the rest of the clan. Maybe that could give the character a fresh start.

The rest of them have to go though. Every single one, including their partners (except Robert of course, since he is, after all, a Sugden, and like with Charity there may be hope for him away from the succubus also known as Aaron)

• Members

Oh, I like the way Kim is dressing - the quilted Barbour gilets, etc. To me it feels age appropriate and 'smart rural' for want of a better phrase. I also like that she's not dressed as a Dynasty knock off. But I've only seen the start of Kim's 90s run - what was her style like then? (I mean, it would have evolved anyway). 

And I'm curious - what do wealthy Yorkshire women wear? Is it a less tacky version of moneyed Cheshire?

• Members

In essence, I'd say so from my limited observation 

God knows moneyed Cheshire is a whole other universe...

I've only seen a few eps of this return so the Barbour look sounds exactly right and an updated follow on from her 90s style. But I saw her in some really unflattering outfits with false nails and her hair looking a bit Cheshire. I did see an episode where she "dressed down" after Moira shoved her in a mud mountain - it was  natural and understated.

Perhaps I've not seen enough to judge fairly. I do hope though that fans (and I guess the show) move on from the age related potshots. I've never thought of Kim as the kind of character who'd put herself in the position to invite cheap, low blows.

• Members

I completely agree. Regardless of whether longer term fans aren't enjoying Kim's return, I find the ageist quips from some of the characters to be really demeaning. I haven't seen much ageism from fans online (mostly because I try and avoid the social media commentary) but there seems to be a  real lack of respect towards both Claire King and the character of Kim.

• Members

Kim's estranged son James will arrive in the village in the not so distant future.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emmerdale/a27078514/emmerdale-spoilers-alexander-lincoln-jamie-tate-gossip/

There's already speculation about romance with either Debbie or Belle.... 

What about Victoria?!! They keep neglecting her!  

I realize of course that the drama would be in James getting involved with a Dingle, but at the same time that's so predictable

• Members

I would get excited that Victoria gets a story, even if it is a rape story, if I for a moment believed that the show would give it the attention it deserves.

It will probably be a special hour-long episode, and then back to the regular program, Kim vs the Dingles..... 

I don't understand why they refuse to give Victoria more to do while giving story after story to Debbie and Belle. Isabel Hodgins is just as good an actress as Charley Webb and Eden Taylor-Draper, and Victoria as a character has such a rich history to mine stories from. It's baffling why she's constantly relegated to the back-burner.