Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

You're welcome. I was hoping you'd enjoy the info. It's my holiday gift to you

Please register in order to view this content

It's new-ish, but pretty great. It's how I catch up with the Brit soaps when I tune back in, and a great source for classic UK shows.

I was thinking of that, definitely a good plan.

• Webmaster

Love me some BritBox. That's how I watch "Emmerdale," "EastEnders" and "Coronation Street." Too bad there's no equivalent (that I'm aware of) for "Home and Away," "Hollyoaks" and "Neighbours." Sure, "Hollyoaks" is available on Hulu, but the delay is too great.

• Members

Browsing through their list of material, I'm pretty sure an actual subscription would be worth it. I love me my British dramas! I think there's a higher ratio of stuff I'd want to watch on BritBox than on Netflix.

As long as the current American soaps are so disappointing, we have to find quality entertainment elsewhere.

Thanks again for sharing the info about this site! If you need a kidney, let me know. :) 

On most American soaps too. the fact that degenerates like Sonny, Jason, and Franco are "romantic leads" on general Hospital turns my stomach. Luke too. Vomit.

In my day, murderers and rapists were not considered Dream Dates!

• Members

I never thought I would hate anyone more than Debbie, but Aaron and Robert are trying their best to prove me wrong. I'm so tired of them and especially Aaron's constant whining and self-pity. 

The trio of Aaron, Robert and Liv are really challenging Debbie-Cain-Charity for the title of trifecta from hell.

• Members

I will always dislike the way they wrote Joe out and I think killing Mark and Archie was a mistake (I would have killed Nick, who had reached the end of the road as a character).

The episodes themselves were very well-made, although I tend to agree with those who think the show was and will always be better pre-crash. 

• Members

Amen to that!

I wonder if they will even mention the anniversary on the show this year in any way? Somehow I doubt it. It was pre-Dingle after all, and there are only two characters left on the show who was around at the time, Eric and Robert (and he was only seven). This sorry fact highlights how this show has systematically destroyed almost all ties to its past.

• Members

I doubt it. 

I'd say if Joseph was still around he might have mentioned it, given that his uncle died in the crash, but that wouldn't have happened. 

I keep hoping now that Emmerdale is on a history kick they will bring back more people from the past years past 1993, or even invent someone from that era, or half-invent (maybe one of those families who came and went in the '70s, like the Gimbels). It would be so simple. 

I mean they brought in an entire family for the new teacher, for the new doctor...

• Members

And Kathy Gimbel was involved with Joe Sugden right before she left in 1977. She could very well have been pregnant by the time she left Beckindale....

I doubt that will ever happen though, but one can hope.....

But my guess is that the people in charge now have no idea that the Gimbels ever existed.  

• Members

Today, on her 100th birthday, we celebrate and honour one of the most legendary stars in British soap history, Sheila Mercier, who for over twenty years reigned supreme as the Grand Dame of Beckindale and of Emmerdale Farm.

Forget about The Woolpack, the Dingles, plane crashes, Home Farm, Kim Tate etc

To me, the most iconic character of this show will always be Annie Sugden, and the most iconic set will always be Annie’s kitchen in the old Emmerdale farmhouse. 

A matriarch of the old school, Annie was always there to support her family and friends whenever they needed, yet never afraid to give them a piece of her mind when the situation called for it, sorting out her wayward children and grand-children, and always with the kettle brewing on the stove.

The backbone of her family and a pillar of the community, Annie is sorely missed on the show today by those of us who watched when she was around. But thankfully there are plenty of old Emmerdale Farm episodes available on Youtube, so we can enjoy Annie in her prime, and Sheila Mercier’s beautiful portrayal of this one-of-a-kind woman.

A very happy birthday to you Sheila, and thank you for all the years of entertainment you gave us!   

• Members

I think it's best to see her as the centerpiece of Emmerdale Farm, which she was to the end. What followed next is mostly a different show entirely. 

Sheila was a wonderful actress who never got the credit she deserved. I hope she had a peaceful and happy birthday and I hope she knows how many generations needed Annie Sugden in their lives.