Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It's very quiet here right now. Is anyone else still watching?

Although you could say that not much is happening right now I think it's a nice change of pace after the action-packed year we've had with Lachlan's crime spree and Kim's (depressingly bad) return. It feels like they're resetting the show and slowly laying the groundwork for future stories instead of jumping from plot point to plot point.

• Members

I am watching some, not every day but sometimes. The Maya and Jacob story is interesting, although I'm wary of them doing the topic justice. Still, this story is an example of one of the strengths of allowing child actors to stay in the roles as they get older, instead of recasting over and over. The pain that Jacob and Noah are going through has more weight because we've seen the actors for a decade now. 

Did you hear that

Please register in order to view this content

?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So Debbie got no punishment for her involvement in the acid attack on Ross..... Geez, what a surprise.

Please register in order to view this content

I know that it wasn't her idea to throw acid at him, but she still hired Simon to attack someone, and she deserved some kind of punishment for that. This show......

• Members

You're definitely not alone there.

I feel like the pacing has become very stretched out this year, a bit more like the show used to be pre-Blyth. The Daz endless goodbye has that tone - it's not quite repetitive, because the story does progress, yet it does stretch out. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I like the idea - I just wish the stories could get stronger. Maybe next year, if they don't have a big ratings drop and can keep the pacing the way it is now, we will get some good payoff. 

• Members

I like the slower pace, although I agree that the stories are lacking something. I just hope that they will keep this tempo next year, and that it's not just that they're stalling for time until Kim comes back. It's somewhat reminiscent of how the show used to be when it was good in the 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s. And that is ironic since the show only aired two episodes a week back then, compared to six episodes a week now.....

• Members

The show was beautifully paced in those years. 

You'd think with 6-7 episodes a week they would use that to take the time to slowly develop stories and characters. They have done just the opposite, with bang boom crash and lots of padding in between. 

There are some stories lately that feel a bit like the old type (like the Jacob and Maya story). I just hope that can continue.

Oh I was going to send you a few more episodes - sorry for not sending any recently. 

• Members

To be fair to them they have a much bigger cast now, so it must be harder to give everyone something to do. That could be one of the reasons the tempo is so rushed. Then again, it's usually the same characters on the front-burner all the time, so they're not very good at distributing screentime evenly between them. And that is a major reason why the show feels disjointed. Some stories get heavy screentime for a week or so and then disappear for a few weeks, so that you've almost forgotten what happened by the time it is picked up again.

Please don't feel bad about that. I'm eternally grateful for everything you've done so far.

• Members

I adored U/D sooooo much when I saw it in the 1970s. I wish I could watch it again. I don't have the funds to buy the boxset, and alas, cannot find it online. :(

I am tired of criminal behavior going unpunished on soaps. In the good old days, TPTB knew the difference between right and wrong.