Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

I wonder if the show will backtrack and reveal further down the line that Joseph is still alive. I can't see how they can keep Graham or Kim on the show otherwise. If he really is dead then Graham more or less executed him on Kim's order. That is too dark and I can't see how either of them can survive as viable characters if it's true. It's far worse than anything Kim did in her previous stint.

And Moira is turning into one of the most horrible characters on the show. Her association with Cain has really destroyed all sense of right or wrong for her. First she kills Emma and lets her son take the blame, thereby ruining his life and destroying Victoria's happiness at the same time. Then she finds out that Debbie was responsible for the acid attack on Ross and does nothing, and now she will find out about what happened to Joe, and keep quiet about that too. Any ounce of respect I could have had for her is gone.

It will also be interesting to see whether what happened with Joseph will change Cain in any way. I seriously doubt it though. My guess is that he will soon revert back to his old thuggish behaviour and use his fists on anyone who crosses him as always.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's hard for me to really invest in this about Cain's guilt because he's killed people before. He and Sadie sabotaged the show homes, which led to the deaths of three people. He did feel some regret, but not a crippling level of guilt. 

Moira is boxed in. If she reacts to any criminal activity, people will attack her for being a hypocrite. An awful writing choice that will stay with her the rest of her time on the show. 

I do think Joe is still alive and we just won't find out for a while, if ever. If we don't see a body that means he isn't dead. The same thing happened with Kim. 

I'm really glad you are still watching and posting. Emmerdale fans are some of the most annoying fans out there so there are very few I can tolerate. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

^^

Thank you. It's nice to have someone else to talk Emmerdale with.

Please register in order to view this content

No-one I know is watching the show anymore. My mother used to watch it when I was a child, that's how I was introduced to the show back in the late 70s, but she stopped many years ago.

This place is the only one I visit, so I haven't come across any of those annoying fans, but I can imagine the type. A lot of Robron fans I guess?     People who started watching in 2010 or something like that......  

Not that it's anything wrong with joining a show in progress, but "fans" like that usually only watch for certain characters and have no interest in the rest of the show or it's history.

As for the show, you're right that they have really done a number on Moira. They've written her into a position she can't get out of. She's become another victim of the Dingles in a way, much like the show as a whole.

I don't care about Cain's guilt either, don't get me wrong on that. Frankly I don't care about Cain period. But recent events could be a catalyst for some personal growth for him , if anyone in power was actually interested in that. But that is probably an alien concept nowadays. It's wash, rinse, repeat.... Circular storytelling without any progress whatsoever. Boring!!

• Members

Brenda is a character I never liked, and Bob can be exhausting with his constant joking. I wish they would have killed off those two instead of Viv and Terry.

I would have loved to have had Terry still on the show when Joseph Tate came back, considering Terry's close relationship with Chris. And having Terry and Viv around instead of Bob and Brenda would also have helped with Kim's return.

It was such a short-sighted and stupid decision to get rid of those two.  

• Members

I don't have time to watch regularly, but I watched the episode just to see Ross' exit. It was such a classic soap way of tying up a character's story by having him interact with Laurel and April one last time. It's so rare we get exits like that these days. Everything always seems so rushed and not well thought out at all. It was also nice that they touched upon his complicated relationship with Debbie, but kept it light and surprisingly didn't have a stranglehold on the episode like their relationship had done on the show many times before. And, being away from the headache of RobRon, it was great to see Robert behaving like the man he should be, though Aaron didn't waste anytime trying to ruin that. They should have left Aaron completely out of the episode and had his reaction on aftermath Monday. It was also a positive coincidence that I got to also see Laurel think about her actions and who she became with Bob. I agree with Carl about the story aspects being fairly interesting so I didn't hate Bob with Laurel as much as with Marlon, because their getting together always felt temporary for me. I actually forgot Bob and Ashley were best friends until Laurel brought it up. One of the best moments for me was Ross paying for a gravestone for Emma. So basically, except for Aaron, it was practically a perfect episode.

• Members

Perfect summary!  

On to current events, and I guess it could be my intense dislike for the character speaking but why the hell did Liv have to go and stick her nose into Sebastian's living arrangement. I wish that little bitch would just shut up or better yet disappear altogether. And now Aaron is all worked up too. Why did they have to saddle Robert with this man-child?  I'm probably not very objective about this, but when it comes to Liv I find that objectivity flies out the window. I just cannot stand the character.  

• Members

Since there's not much else going on here right now I thought I'd share a little Emmerdale Farm trivia. I was browsing through "Inside UpDown", a book about the creation and production of "Upstairs, Downstairs" (my all-time favourite tv-show), and discovered that Gail Harrison, who played Marian Wilks off and on during the 1970s, was a contender for the role of Georgina Worsley. The role eventually went to Lesley-Anne Down.

I had of course already read this, since I have owned the book for several years, but I never really connected the dots before.

• Members

To be honest I have a hard time seeing Gail as Georgina. Not because I think she would have been in any way wrong for the role. It's just that "Upstairs, Downstairs" is so special to me and it's hard for me to imagine anyone else playing those characters.

But I liked Gail on "Emmerdale Farm" and I don't think she would have been at all bad. But for me Lesley-Anne Down is Georgina Worsley.

There were some other choices for other roles that would have been a disaster though. Apparently Honor Blackman was mentioned as a possibility for the role of Lady Marjorie. While I love Honor she would have been completely wrong for that part. At least the way Lady Marjorie was written. Rachel Gurney however was fabulous in the role, which is funny since she had a lot of issues with it, which eventually made her leave the show.