Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

^^

Please register in order to view this content

In other news, Frazer Hines has expressed interest in returning as (the unfortunately deceased) Joe Sugden.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emmerdale/a27175249/emmerdale-frazer-hines-joe-sugden-return/

I don't know how serious he is, but it's an intriguing thought, despite the less than stellar return of Kim Tate.

But it would be quite hard to explain his whereabouts for the last 24 years, since his supposed death in a car crash in Spain.

• Members

I guess that could work. But if they are going to do that (and I won't be holding my breath) I hope they do it soon, so Annie could get reunited with Joe before she dies.

Lovely! Back when the show was actually good!  

Edited by I Am A Swede

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I wasn't too thrilled with this delayed flashback gimmick they did, but the fallout has been better than expected. Matthew Wolfenden and Roxy Shahidi has put in phenomenal work with the whole Maya reveal.

And it is so satisfying to see Isabel Hodgins finally get a chance to shine as Victoria. It's too bad that it took a rape storyline for her to get that chance. And I'm not at all happy that they had to compound the misery on her by making her pregnant. It definitely feels like overkill. And it really sucks that when she finally gets pregnant it's as a result of being raped.

I do love the fact that very few Dingles have been involved in these stories. It demonstrates how much better this show would be with less Dingles. (I would personally prefer no Dingles but I know that's not going to happen).

I'm cautiously optimistic about James Tate's arrival in the village. Maybe his presence can humanize Kim and make her less of a pantomime villain.

The last few weeks have been a definite improvement over the last few months, so maybe the show can be salvaged. It's not perfect by any means, and with Lisa and Zak returning next week the Dingles will probably hog the limelight again, and that is never a good thing. I just hope that it won't mean that Victoria's story and the fallout from the Maya reveal will be relegated to sporadic appearances....

• Members

I'm glad you are still posting about the show. I have a really hard time sitting through it - I haven't in months. The Victoria and Jacob stories just upset me, especially Liv blackmailing an abuse victim for cash. 

@I Am A Swede you're a big Emma Thompson fan right? She's hosting SNL tomorrow night. Their videos go up on Youtube. I don't know if it will be geoblocked for you. They also have shorter versions on their Twitter. Not sure if that is geoblocked. She has two promos up on there already.

Also I don't know if you are a Freddie Jones fan but this is a 1974 half-hour play he appeared in that was put up yesterday. (I should warn there is some anti-gay and racist language). It also has the actor who played Trevor Thatcher, NYE Estates manager of 1978, looking very dashing in a poignant role. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I already hated that useless little bitch, and that only justified my feelings towards her.

Those two stories are tough to watch, but I much prefer them over anything involving Debbie, Cain, Charity, or any other Dingle. It's so nice when the people in charge of the show remember that there are characters not named Dingle on the show. It always improves the quality..... 

How can anyone not be a fan of Emma Thompson?! 

She's been by far the best actress in the world the last 25 years, and she also seems to be a delightful person off screen.

• Members

Goodbye Lisa Dingle.

It's a bit sad really that a veteran character leaves after 23 years and I couldn't care less. 

If/when they decide to let Annie die offscreen I will be heartbroken, even though she's been gone from the show for 25 years, but Lisa's death leaves me cold. What's even worse is that they will probably devote enormous amount of screentime to show how all the Dingles deal with Lisa's death, episode after episode for months to come, while other stories, including the aftermath of Maya's grooming of Jacob and the repercussions of Victoria's rape will be relegated to the backburner and awarded a few minutes of screentime per week.