Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

I don't think that so many UK soaps were as focused on star-crossed lovers like US or Aussie soaps.  But, I do think they used to do a better job of balancing out the dark gritty stuff with the more light hearted/comedic stuff.  And I always felt like the UK soaps were much better about keeping couples together for several years before breaking them up.   I like many of the darker and gritter storylines.  But, I need them to be balanced out, and I get tired of seeing certain characters rotate through partners the way that they do (David and Debi are prime examples).

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

If they are well done, I can also appreciate/enjoy darker, gritter stories...just not to the exclusion of everything else. Toxic, degenerate people exist in the real world, sure, but I do not want to see them overwhelm the soaps and be treated as romantic leads whom everybody else reveres. I constantly thank my lucky stars that I was "there" when the greats like Irna Phillips, Agnes Nixon, William J. Bell, Henry Slesar, Roy Winsor, Harding Lemay, Pat Falken Smith, Claire Labine, Rick Edelstein, etc., were headwriting American soaps!

• Members

Amen and Hallelujah!!

There used to be a time when a criminal record was actually seen as something bad in Beckindale. But ever since the Dingles turned up (what a sad, sad day that was) that has changed. Someone like Cain would never have been tolerated in the old days, but now he's the leading man.... *yuck*

• Members

I like Cain, but it's a little bit ridiculous the amount of stuff he's gotten away with. However, I find his spawn Debi to be far far worse.  Debi's list of victim's is longer.  Everyone she screws dies or in poor old Andy's case has to leave town indefinitely.  She may not pull the trigger, so to speak, but she causes them all to go mad.  I still blame her, in part, for Gennie dying.

• Members

No argument there from me. 

Please register in order to view this content

I have made my feelings for Debbie clear multiple times. She's probably the worst character this show has ever produced. I don't understand what they see in her and why she gets story after story after story. She's such a miserable little bitch.

• Members

I wasn't sure how long he'd stay, as he'd already tried for years with no real success, but I wish him well. I think he always got less credit than he deserved for what was a thankless role. And of course they did NOTHING to rebuild the Sugdens during his time there, because they don't give a damn.

I wish the show had the guts to let Danny Miller go and have them leave together. 

• Members

I doubt they'll get rid of Danny Miller. 

I think they'll do what @Bright Eyes stated and kill Robert off. Or just have him commit a sudden crime (that makes no sense) that'll lead to Robert fleeing to be with Andy. 

I'd prefer if Robert was called offscreen to help Andy and overtime Aaron is served divorced papers as Robert (offscreen) no longer wants to live in Emmerdale. That'll be the best way to end Robron if Danny isn't leaving.

• Members

I haven't always been happy with how they've written Robert this time around, but he's still a Sugden and it sucks that he's leaving. But at least it's Ryan's decision, and that feels slightly better.

I am a bit afraid of how they will write him out though, especially since there's been no talk of Danny/Aaron leaving. I'm really fearful that means that we'll not like they way Robert leaves. I just pray that they won't kill him off. I couldn't stand to lose another Sugden.