General Hospital October 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

It seems like a prefunctory part of the story that someone has to disbelieve the diagnosis so they can learn lessons about Autism in order to inform the audience.  But, I agree that Olivia feels like a poor choice for this role in the plot. She has been in love with doctor, she's suffered a head injury, and she is aware of mental health issues both due to her experiences with Morgan and Heather.  So, it feels like she would be more sensitive to issues about neuro-diveristy.  Also, the old troupe that mothers are most often in denial about developmental issues is not actually true, and often a little sexist.

Lack of access to resources is much more of an issue in the Autism community than poor early detection due to parental denial.

Edited by j swift

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I love how this show is painting Brook Lynn as some mustache-twirling villain, with Maxie as a voice of morality, when BL’s the hero of the story for most of us.

Marcus Coloma isn’t a bad actor, but he’s ill equipped to navigate the light and shade (Laura’s brightness and the Cassadine darkness) of Nikolas IMO. The longer he’s on the show, the more miscast I feel he is. 

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I liked Spencer/Sonny's scenes today. Sonny did give Spencer tough love, but at least Spencer feels that Sonny does really love him. Nikolas on the hand, continues to act poorly as a father, that seems to have tunnel vision and only really seems to care about doing whatever pleases Ava. Even and especially at the expense of his only child. It's one thing to cut off Spencer's access to his/the Cassadine money, it's another to give Ava complete control over it. This will not help heal Spencer's/Nikolas's relationship. All he is showing is that he will continue to obsess over Ava/put all of her needs above Spencer all of the time.

His behavior is ridiculous and he should have visited Spencer in prison, regardless of whether he supported Ava's decision or not. Nikolas/Ava seem to think the main problem is that Spencer was spoiled as a child, but the problem is Nikolas is a bad and negligent father who continues to ignores his son's plea for his love and attention. And Ava brought up Laura, saying that Nikolas wanted to give Spencer the love she didn't give him as a child. If that was completely true, he wouldn't have played dead for as long as he did, and constantly make his son seem like an afterthought. Nik/Ava are not likeable or root worthy in this story for me.

I think that Spencer may end up taking some sort of plea deal, and possibly avoid jail time that way. If he does that and can still manage to not be under Ava's control, that might actually end up working out for him. I would support a story where he cuts more ties from Nik and tries to become more independent. That and/ or him finding out about Hayden or working with Victor and using that to his advantage, lol. 

I also liked the scenes with Phyllis and Nina and hope they are foreshadowing that Nina will stay around. I think that Sonny may offer to buy Charlie's for her. And I also liked the scenes with Austin/Monica and then his scenes with Q's where he signed the papers dropping the lawsuit. But then turning around and telling Brook Lynn things weren't over. And I agree that Olivia is overreacting with this situation with Leo.

Edited by xtr

• Members

Nikolas is a spectacularly shitty father and always had been. Even when Spencer was an infant, he was unimportant to him (I remember Liz throwing that in his face during the “Who’s the Daddy” storyline with Aiden). Spencer is desperate for his father to choose HIM first and foremost and how sad that his runner up father figure is Sonny. 

I agree with everyone that Liz should be part of this story. Cam would be going to her and talking about it. We get scenes of Joss with Carly and even Trina with Portia but zero Cam and Liz? Her firstborn son off to college and nada? 

• Members

I know Stefan was 'the good one' - until he went nutso - (I wouldn't hate him back, personally, at this point ... lol) but it makes sense to me that Nikolas is so spectacularly shitty and Spencer is such a hot mess. I love it. 

He really doesn't seem too. It was Dan/Chris who seemed to praise Liz and want her as a center on the show. Frank doesn't give a [!@#$%^&*] about the GH 'stars'. He wants his own 'stars'.

It's like he hears what fans wants and then punishes them. You want more Liz? You hated her propping Franco? Well here's Liz propping Finn (who doesn't need it; Anna did that) instead of using her literally anywhere else where it makes sense. It's just so bizarre.

And now they're trolling us with her daddy. It's Frank with the Lucy football again ... unless it's really a Finn story. Like how Liz's rapist going free was a Franco story.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Frank may or may not like Liz but he understands her cachet with the audience. That's why he pairs her up with his favorite OLTL stars. Not because he hates her, but because he knows a lot of the audience loves Herbst and will follow her into any terrible storyline or pairing. He uses Liz/Becky to put Howarth and Easton over to the audience.

• Members

She should be. She is a legacy character after all. Hell, I don't even mind Liz and Finn, but at least let her do more, include her in Cam's storyline or the search for Hayden.

But it's clear who the favorites are. I'm surprised we haven't seen an FOF (Friends of Frank) list compiled yet 

Please register in order to view this content