DAYS: June 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

I think that nuEJ is getting better now that he's had more than one episode and is interacting with more people. I can't believe they had him in jammies in those bedroom scenes. Why did they pass up the opportunity to have the new guy shirtless?!

Love seeing Anna. Kate is SO bad at pretending to be blind, lol. I swear that Gabi and Jake have the same exact conversation in every episode. "Did you tell Kate you're with me and not her?" "Nope." "OMG why not? You must want her and not me!" "I swear I'm gonna tell her, she's just not ready yet!" Zzzzz. Kate toying with Jake is at least fun.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's is weird Marlena treats family members (including her husband) and close friends.  It's always been like that though.  Laura and Kim used to treat people even though I can't recall what Kim was (social worker or licensed therapist).  The only other psychiatrists on this show I remember were bad guys.   But this show has never been great with the accuracy of the medical field or any field of work really lol.

Honestly, instead of making both Carrie and Belle lawyers, I may have made one of them a shrink.  It's actually weird none of Marlena's kids or grandkids ever showed any interest in medicine.  It would be interesting if Allie decided to get into social work or psychology after her trauma instead of starting a bakery when she doesn't bake.

• Members

Exactly!!! Allie should decide to become a counselor at the hospital that deals in trauma. And for Chanel I would've preferred if she would've opening a boutique instead of a bakery. But at least Chanel/Allie has goals unlike most of the twenty/thirtysomething set on soaps these days. 

• Members

A boutique seems more like Chanel's vibe, but maybe it would be too similar to Gabi Chic?  I am glad Chanel, Allie, and Tripp have goals, unlike Claire/Ciara who seem aimless.   I don't think ID sings, but when is the last time Claire mentioned her singing career?

Allie seems like someone who would be very good at counseling.  I could see her easily transitioning into that role.  Honestly even someone like Claire could become interested in mental help because of her previous mental health issues (ala Kim), although she seem less suited for that, but it would give her something to do besides follow Ben around.

• Members

That's where I am at personally. I am actually happy to see young characters have plans that are both ambitious for their age and realistic but could provide fodder for stuff later one. Give characters depth, angles and layers instead of relying on the lazy police/lawyer/doctor/workwithfamily.

Much better than aimlessness - since putting youngsters on soaps at Salem college seems to be not an option for some reason even though it'd provide a simple response to what-are-they-doing without tying them to a job AND be realistic - or worse yet the inevitable "I wanna be famous" storylines every soap gives us with regularity with younger characters, especially when they sing.

Bakery hasn't been done before and like any business the actual thing they do will be irrelevant to whether good storylines come out of it. I don't think the drama around Kirakis or DiMera's business empires has ever had much to do with what they actually do/make.

• Members

I agree about the "famous" storylines.   I don't like supermodel stories or singing stories much.   You are subjected to lots of iffy singing or a suspension of disbelief that all the towns need models to promote their singular cosmetic line forever lol.   Outside of B&B, which is in LA and is about fashion, it rarely makes sense. 

I prefer doctor/cop/lawyer to working at the family business on Days though.  Has there ever been a good business story on Days?  Maybe some Vivian/Kate/Titan stuff in the 90's, but I can't think of anything else in recent memory.

Bakery hasn't been done before so that's different, but I feel like it will be in the same vain as opening coffee shops on soaps just without the set lol. 

• Members

lol

So bad.

Nothing says building up romance like a dead body (I assume he dies; I haven't watched)

Excellent points.

I would love Allie becoming a counselor.

I agree with others that making both Belle and Carrie lawyers is a bit redudant. Belle makes more sense as an Elle Woods lawyer type who's actually good at it. Carrie would have made sense as a counselor but the character never seemed to have a solid career direction. Model, business, owning a business ... it never really seemed to work (Model was just a plot point of course).

• Members

Both Carrie and Belle are odd choices as lawyers, but I buy both of them now.  Carrie never seemed terribly interested in studies or school and I don't think she went to college for long, so it's a weird career turn around.  I thought she was as believable as Billie, Kate, Sami, Austin, etc at Titan in the 90's doing whatever they did.  

Belle at least was portrayed as super smart and studious until she got married at like 20 and then bemoaned how her and Shawn had no money despite both rich parents and the fact she made no effort to get a job lol, but I could see her and Shawn pulling their lives together off screen.  Much more believable than Austin Reed: super accountant/teacher.