Soaps Returning To Production

• Members

Although this was not mentioned in the promo, General Hospital is now the longest running daytime drama on US network television. The 10 longest running daytime dramas on US network television are General Hospital, Guiding Light, Days, As the World Turns, Y&R, One Life to Live, All My Children, Search for Tomorrow (counting both CBS years and NBC years), Another World, B&B.

Edited by kalbir

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I read that Y&R has planned a 8/24 recap episode and officially starts broadcasting new eps on 8/25, has anyone else seen this yet or got confirmation of chatter elsewhere?

I know right, and with the situation going the way it is in CA there’s no telling what could happen. 

• Members

For jobs that can't be done from home they might also be subject to 50% capacity for editors and post-production people.  I guess Y&R just doesn't tape as far ahead as other shows?  I know they have a long holiday break and starting each January they have a short turnaround, so maybe they didn't have much in the can by March. I wonder if all the shows are going to switch to a schedule more like DAYS after this is all over, which will make the shows look even cheaper.

• Members

I haven't read anything about a return date for Y&R.

Y&R has been filming for about two weeks now so by August 25, they will have been filming for six weeks. We don't know what's going to happen in the fall and winter so the filmed episodes are going to have to last as long as possible.

Here's what I think Y&R/CBS should do:

Air classic episodes until Monday September 7.

Tuesday September 8 through Friday September 11, repeat the last 4 episodes (original airdates April 20-23) as a refresher and promote the return of new episodes like a fall season premiere.

Monday September 14, start new episodes. By September 14, there should be about 8 weeks of filmed episodes so those would last until the first week of November. If CBS decides to air Friday classics again then the 8 weeks of filmed episodes could last until Thanksgiving.

Edited by kalbir