Soaps Returning To Production

Although this was not mentioned in the promo, General Hospital is now the longest running daytime drama on US network television. The 10 longest running daytime dramas on US network television are General Hospital, Guiding Light, Days, As the World Turns, Y&R, One Life to Live, All My Children, Search for Tomorrow (counting both CBS years and NBC years), Another World, B&B.

Edited by kalbir

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Vizion said:

One thing to note in that promo: no social distancing between Ingo/Cynthia and Kelly/Steve. So I guess filmed before production ended? 

Edited by Faulkner
6 hours ago, Faulkner said:

One thing to note in that promo: no social distancing between Ingo/Cynthia and Kelly/Steve. So I guess filmed before production ended? 

I'm thinking they filmed after all testing negative for COVID.

2 minutes ago, Darn said:

I'm thinking they filmed after all testing negative for COVID.

yep and LA County said they could do stuff like this if filming was done quickly as possible and for a promo it probably was quickly shot

I read that Y&R has planned a 8/24 recap episode and officially starts broadcasting new eps on 8/25, has anyone else seen this yet or got confirmation of chatter elsewhere?

16 hours ago, amybrickwallace said:

I hope the return of soaps goes better than the return of MLB. 😳

I know right, and with the situation going the way it is in CA there’s no telling what could happen. 

8 minutes ago, soapfan770 said:

I read that Y&R has planned a 8/24 recap episode and officially starts broadcasting new eps on 8/25, has anyone else seen this yet or got confirmation of chatter elsewhere?

I never want these classics to end but I can't complain if that's the date... another month of classics. :D 

27 minutes ago, soapfan770 said:

I know right, and with the situation going the way it is in CA there’s no telling what could happen. 

I think the 10th, Because RC Cates posted new Music cues and they typically score episodes two weeks out.

13 minutes ago, victoria foxton said:

Again though, If they are now scoring the episodes i think they pretty much are done. No?

30 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I think the 10th, Because RC Cates posted new Music cues and they typically score episodes two weeks out.

It's possible things aren't done typically at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to get a few more episodes in the can before starting to broadcast them.

2 minutes ago, YRBB said:

It's possible things aren't done typically at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to get a few more episodes in the can before starting to broadcast them.

Maybe.

For jobs that can't be done from home they might also be subject to 50% capacity for editors and post-production people.  I guess Y&R just doesn't tape as far ahead as other shows?  I know they have a long holiday break and starting each January they have a short turnaround, so maybe they didn't have much in the can by March. I wonder if all the shows are going to switch to a schedule more like DAYS after this is all over, which will make the shows look even cheaper.

2 hours ago, soapfan770 said:

I haven't read anything about a return date for Y&R.

Y&R has been filming for about two weeks now so by August 25, they will have been filming for six weeks. We don't know what's going to happen in the fall and winter so the filmed episodes are going to have to last as long as possible.

Here's what I think Y&R/CBS should do:

Air classic episodes until Monday September 7.

Tuesday September 8 through Friday September 11, repeat the last 4 episodes (original airdates April 20-23) as a refresher and promote the return of new episodes like a fall season premiere.

Monday September 14, start new episodes. By September 14, there should be about 8 weeks of filmed episodes so those would last until the first week of November. If CBS decides to air Friday classics again then the 8 weeks of filmed episodes could last until Thanksgiving.

Edited by kalbir