Soaps Returning To Production

• Members

Y&R has been filming for about a week now but no word on when new episodes will air. What I think they should do is film and bank as many episodes as they can, then start airing in September after Labor Day and promote it like a fall season premiere. I'm fine with classics through the summer, I'll just skip any from 2006 onward.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yeah that’s a wonderful idea, which B&B should’ve also done, but you know these US soaps lol. I still wonder how B&B’s ratings will be as the only one returning. It’s just crazy to me they didn’t wait until Y&R had enough banked episodes to launch both. I’d imagine they’ll probably launch Y&R in mid August if they continue filming. 

• Members

Another mess. They gonna launch after filming for two weeks? If there’s another shut down they won’t have anything stored. I wonder if they’ll continue filling the episodes with flashbacks so you get two episodes out of one. I can’t imagine that’s interesting for the viewer either. 

• Members

Breakdowns for the 3rd.......

Nelle (Chloe Lanier) is shaken. Jax is impressed with Nina’s (Cynthia Watros) strength. Ned (Wally Kurth) and Olivia (Lisa LoCicero) clash. Valentin (James Patrick Stuart) meets with Brook Lynn (Amanda Setton). Portia (Brook Kerr) has an uncomfortable encounter.

• Members

That's so weird. They already had to push their start date for a week from July 10 so they started around the 17th.  We already know from the Global site that Y&R is still in reruns the week of July 27, so GH might actually get back on before them even though Y&R started filming earlier. 

This is all so anticlimactic. B&B came back with virtually no promo or fanfare. And it had not occurred to me that B&B and GH, and maybe Y&R, had some episodes filmed before the break and plan to use them, so they really can't do time jumps or change much in the story. I notice that some of the guys on B&B bulked up a lot in the off time and it's going to be weird as well going from Wednesday's (pre-lockdown) episode into Thursday's and see the actors looking different. I noticed JMW's lips on the Tuesday episode were not as swollen as they were in her zoom interview the other day haha.

Plus, none of the shows seem to have planned ahead in case they need to shut down. Even DAYS is cutting it close, not returning to filming until September. I understand the ratings are dropping and they want new stuff on right away, but if they don't promote it or try to do something special, and end up going back into reruns after 3 weeks of new episodes, the ratings won't recover. Honestly, I think we could lose one or two soaps out of this pandemic

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members

So sad, but true. The pandemic has shown that even lapsed viewers have no interest in tuning in and STAYING TUNED to their old soaps. No bumps in late March nor all of April, when all 4 shows were still showcasing original content. DAYS has the bleakest track record as they STILL are showing original content all through the summer and yet their numbers are tanking. 

• Members

The little fanfare and promotion for B&B’s return has been strange to say the least, and really I think they should have aired all their pre lockdown eps back in April instead of coming back like this.

I am curious to see what the ratings are for B&B’s return. The last week back in April they went out with a 2.4; I hate to say this but I will be surprised if they return with anything over a 2.0.

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

I thought it was a weird choice for them not to tag an “All-New Episodes Next Week” message onto their promos during last week’s classics. At least they’d have a bit of time for news to spread that they were back on. It’s like they’re just making it up as they go along. I guess B&B got a smidgeon of press for being one of the first TV shows back, and then might get some gawkers looking to play “Spot the Blow-Up Doll,” due to Bradley’s goofy interviews that went viral.

They just *barely* care about these shows. They don’t want the bottom to completely fall out, hence the rush back, but they aren’t going to spend one extra cent on promo. It’s clear, though, that they have a level they find absolutely unacceptable and we are dangerously close to that.