Y&R to air classic episodes

• Webmaster

Watching the classic episode from Friday, I have to say I really love seeing a blonde Heather Tom. The episode, so far, is really what a true soap looks like. The budget though! It's clear the show had money and time on its hands. The amount of closeup shots on actor faces as they went from scene to scene didn't feel unnecessary. It felt right, especially the one of Victor on the phone with Miguel and then talking under his breath when Miguel tells him that Nikki doesn't want to be found.

I also noticed that even though I know this history, I'm REALLY involved with what's gonna happen next. The consequences facing these characters as they lie and cheat feels really, real.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks, DaytimeFan!

"I also know she never liked the story of Katherine being Jill’s mother, and I always loved it, because I thought it explained the love/hate relationship so well.  I think she thought it would damage their relationship, and it kind of did for a while."

God bless you, Mrs. C. You knew what was up, and Walton finally kinda admits it was horrible.

I adore Walton but she's not the type of actor who should be giving storyline ideas; she liked the mother/daughter fiasco, suggested the story that led to Cane, and her vision of Jill having a strong partner to always be around with goes very much against what Jill should be doing. While I can see Jill being less of an outsider by now, with relationships etc, she should always be running around interfering in others' lives. lol

That's exactly right. I think it was Sara Bibel who once said that Jill ringing Katherine's doorbell was a genuine cliffhanger, and it was because of the great character work the show had invested in. You indeed just knew whatever would follow would be worth it. And, of course, they still delivered their shockers, too!

• Members

In today's intro, Doug Davidson specifically addressed longtime viewers by saying, in regards to Cassandra, "if you remember, she was nothing but trouble." I know that's a tiny, tiny thing, but it kind of backs up an argument that they're focusing more on longtime viewers than newer viewers with episode selection here.

ETA: Good God, that Jill/Katherine scene is great, and BD was amazing in it from start to finish.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

You don't see that type of subtlety or quiet, cold rage in scenes today, especially with characters who are women. Today's Y&R would've had Jill and Esther bickering from the moment Jill arrived and Katherine playing referee before barking at both Jill and Esther.

Perhaps because Daytime Emmys, which became the arbiter of what was scene as high-level performances seemed to overwhelmingly award more maudlin performances, the writers dispensed with the subtleties and went in favor of outright crying, shrieking and wailing in scenes. And yelling, cannot forget the yelling.

I assumed it was an excuse she threw out there because she despised her storylines and thought it wasn't worth showing up for what was being written for her. I'm surprised people take these actors so literally.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I'm not that interested in JW's reasons, since I don't like her take on Jill and I don't like her storyline suggestions (but I do like her as a person from what I've seen in interviews). If she did make up an excuse, at least she should be consistent with it, I think...

Edited by Aback