Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

LOL!! You're funny

Please register in order to view this content

What do you guys think was the cultural background to developing a character like Cassandra? Did she seem to taken right out of a Hitchcock movie? Or a '30s noir film? I've often read comments that Classic Y&R felt like reading a novel and it's obvious it was heavily influenced by Old Hollywood - especially considering Bill Bell grew up as a writer in that exact era, I think.

• Members

Brenda said she changed the way she played Jill because the writing for Jill had changed in her years away, that Jill had become a bitch, and so on. I think she still managed to have some restraint until around the time Jill and John divorced and Jill was starting over - then she started going hogwild with the turbans and so on.

• Members

I was just going to mention this. YR and BB have been preempted regularly because of these press conferences. Last week was probably the best overall in terms of not preempting the soaps on CBS in the past few weeks.

I thought when CBS2 preempted their soaps, they would be shown on WLNY. I finally have WLNY after all these years and I just checked and they're not airing YR. I'm assuming CBS2 no longer has a deal with WLNY to air their schedule when there are preemptions. I haven't really watched CBS soaps live this regularly in a while so I was going based on what would occur in the past. 

Sad I'm probably going to miss all these older episodes, because CBS hasn't even put up Friday's episode online or on the streaming platform. 

Looks like NBC is doing a better job at respecting DAYS in the NYC area because it's on my local affiliate. 

• Members

Bell liked to tell noir stories and Gothic mysteries when he could. From what some here have said, Nina Arvesen's performance captivated him and he wrote and wrote for her (I think he may have changed plans that would have had her as her husband's killer). Bell loved writing for complicated heroines and anti-heroines. He certainly wasn't flawless, by any means, but I'd say he and Henry Slesar are the two male writers in daytime who most knew how to write for women and knew how to make them such fascinating characters. It's never been the same after he had to retire - characters like Ashley were quickly gutted like fish.

Oh I didn't know they were doing this. Which episode will it be? (something about VIctor presumably) Hopefully these will be put somewhere. I will have to remember to set it up and hope nothing is cut in.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Totally the same ! I was 5-6 when it aired in France and I was fascinated with Cassandra. And George’s niece, Brittany too. They were so « film noir » vibes. Guess I was already much gay

Please register in order to view this content

October 1981 I think ! It will probably include Victor taking care of Nikki after their first encounter. We hope for some Vanessa planning her death to frame Lorie !

• Members

Oh that will be good - I know they will junk things for time but I am hoping we'll get some classic material outside of Victor and Nikki. Lorie, Vanessa, maybe Paul if this is still when he was in his white trash period (or was he already a good guy by 1981...), maybe some Deborah Adair Jill...and Liz. I'd be so happy to see Liz.