Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I wonder if one of the reasons the show is running some older episodes (even if they aren't going far back enough) is the show is more by committee than the other soaps these days, with someone who has less interest in only keeping to recent material. Valentini's ego is too big to go back, and whether it be Ronn Moss or other ego problems, Brad Bell isn't either. 

• Members

Y&R - they have a rich catalog of choices even if you only go back to 1990 (30 years!). And has been mentioned so many of the key players then are still on now. It makes viewing them interesting even for 'newer' viewers. 

B&B - I don't have an issue with MC - especially since 2 are ones that haven't been seen before. Also, B&B locations shoots are prime time quality.  

Unlike Y&R, a lot of the major B&B actors started 'late' HT (2007), JMW (2008),  DD (2009), SC (2010), DB/TK/RS (2013). After that it's JG (2006), who's rarely on, and then KKL/JMcC (1987) - so you have 20 years of shows with only 2 current actors. Hunter Tylo/Jacob Young are still familiar with audiences, but their characters are absent from current canvas. I can see why they'd be reluctant to air anything pre-2007 and probably pre-2010.

• Members

@YRfan23 During Y&R’s 35th anniversary week in 2008, while everyone was busy listening to Danny sing for the Restless Style opening Katherine was giving Amber her entire history with Jill in preparation for her book and they showed the above flashback!! I have always wanted to see that episode but find it sad it’s never resurfaced nor has anything from the 35th anniversary week reaired, lol I remember people calling it lame but I enjoyed it right thoroughly. 

• Members

If I've said it once, I've said it A THOUSAND times...they need to start showing stuff from the first 10 years where Jeanne is concerned....except for the weird 1981-early 1983 period where she was all about Nikki, Kevin, and Victor. They need to start showing some episodes that feature the best Jill & Kay scenes/confrontations, ESPECIALLY from '1975-1979 and also 1983. SUCH a treasure trove of great scenes between the two (and I don't care that it's not the same Jill, to me Brenda Dickson will ALWAYS be the TRUE Jill..especially during her '73-'80 run). They need to show the first episodes of Melody Thomas Scott, Eric Braeden, and Tracey Bregman. But back to Jeanne, yes @FrenchFan, they need to show Phillip's death and definitely episodes surrounding the Jill/Derek/Kay/Suzanne saga. Jill & Kay fighting for Phillip and Derek were some of their greatest scenes together!!!

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Yes thank you I've been saying this from time they need to show the viewers what the show was really like for some of the long time actors that have been on for decades and there beginning storys, i would love to see episodes of jill/Katherine/Phillip saga up until his death and after and milk is first days and victors and even some Brooks and prentiss drama. How was Eve as Stuart's maid? Im sure she was so nice and kind until like 1982 was it i think

I love the 90's classics but i think most fans are caught up woth that era of the show but what would really be a treat is to show some 70's to early 80's classics because most of the most of the stories that we talk about now come from those years so why not go way back plus the show was written perfectly

• Members

Last year when melody celebrated her 40 year mark with the show, she also said some of the scenes aired were some that haven't e en been seen since it aired and it was in good condition, lol im sop annoyed because there is lots of material from those early years that could be shown and nobody has been able to get a look at them

• Members

Jill interviewing a parade of men while making sexual innuendos and then choosing the man who didn't put up with that BS was iconic. Iconic! Brenda Dickson is growing on me in these scenes, she's still a little awkward and arch but Jill is a fascinating character. The trauma from Phillip's death and Katherine's constant interference seem to dictate her every action. You can totally see the throughline in her characterization.

When and why was David Kimble recast? I wonder if David turning evil was planned from the start.

• Members

Kudos again to Y&R for doing this!

B&B is an embarrassment as is GH in terms of this. I think there's financial reasons behind it as well as fear of viewers realizing how shitty these two shows actually are now.

As butchered as Y&R is, it (and DAYS) still mostly resemble what they used to be. Not at all the same, but in terms of actors still being there it works better for those two, IMO.

• Members

I was about to post the same thing! I watched the scenes yesterday and Jill's interview process was a reality show before reality shows were a thing! LOL

I love that she got herself a male secretary - Jill's story is all about being as powerful as a man.

We know that Bill Bell liked making long term plans so I'm pretty sure he envisioned David taking on a bigger and darker role although the details probably were still sketchy to him.

Oh and yes, Phillip's death was driving years of story. You could tell from BD's eyes that she played Jill as if Phillip was the real love of her life, much like Bill Bell was writing her. It's apparent there was great synergy on the writers and directors/actors part for that story to be so successful.