Y&R to air classic episodes

• Members

It's incredible to think there was a time when any soap, let alone Y&R, could pull off something as opulent as a masquerade ball.  Nowadays, we're lucky if we get two people in Groucho Marx glasses scurrying around a set the size of a hospital broom closet.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Funny, I remember seeing those episodes when I was 5 going on 6 years old that summer. Back when my mom use to watch. I believe at the same time, they were showing the episodes on B&B where Saul had just passed and they were showing flashbacks. I remember seeing Sally crying made little me cry too.

Please register in order to view this content

I guess because at the time i knew her as the "crazy looking big red head lady" so it was probably weird for me to see her so sad...

• Members

It didn't bother me because it gave each character a chance to reflect their own personalities and not just them as part of a couple (something that I can't see happening today). Ryan & Victoria worked as Romeo & Juliet because of the storyline they were playing. The only pairing that looked really weird was Paul and Lauren. They could have found a historical hero for Paul to play.  Katherine and Rex worked because they were complementary costumes that also really reflected them (him being lighthearted and her being a melodramatic capricious queen). I loved the nod to Drucilla's ballet career with Firebird, John Abbot as George Washington, Victor as the Roman, Traci as Mae West, Jill as Cleopatra, and Jack as Prince Charming, but without Cinderella. And best of all was how every minor character was also there in a great costume and had character moments... Esther, Mamie, Lynn, Mary, John Silva, Col. Douglas Austin... was Miguel there? They even had Mme. Chauvin in a lovely scene!

I was listening to Peter Bergman's podcast with Alec Baldwin the other night and he said on AMC, the cast always saw each other and hung around in the makeup room or whatever, but on Y&R, the schedule was such that you really only interacted with your scene mates, and he went weeks before meeting all of the cast... so you can really tell how much the cast was truly enjoying themselves here.