Y&R to air classic episodes

• Webmaster

Honestly, from a business (marketing/advertising) standpoint, it's the best decision they could make. Much of their current cast is still there from that era, which is the point. If they went further back, they would show too many people either not on anymore or played by other people. It makes sense.

"Y&R" can get away with it because many of the people featured in their classic episodes are still there, played by the same people.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

If the oldest show from a week of Katherine-centered episodes is from 1990, it's highly unlikely they'll go as far back as the 70s at any point, I guess. Shame, because everything I've seen concerning her and Phillip's divorce is great and would still be connected enough to the show's modern era. I imagine they could edit two half-hour episodes together and present them as an hour show.

Not surprised B&B's focus is on recent stuff. At the end of the day, they view their task as merely filling time, not honoring show history. They'll do it the easiest way they can, which means rolling out recent stuff.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

I agree ! They could have perfectly shown JC's first episode, maybe Phillip's death, why not some episodes with Derek?

I love the classics from the 90s' but we remember them quite well. It was a unique opportunity to offer longtime fans some gift.

• Members

Exactly my thoughts. 

Agreed.  If anything colors your opinion of modern soaps, it's watching old soaps. Happened to me. Used to think soaps were so awesome in the 2000s, until I went on you tube. 

From the 1993 episode that aired two weeks ago, am I the only one that thinks Peter Bergman's Jack is a better husband for Nikki than Victor? I like Victor's character but the mustache was bold  enough to tell  Nikki "wouldn't you get over the death of your baby in my arms faster than Jack's"....despite that fact that he (accidentally) caused it. 

Edited by ironlion

• Members

I'm so happy they're sticking with soap reruns! This could go on for months, and we'll see them in HD! 

I love the concept of "Katherine the Great"

Please register in order to view this content

What an honor for Jeanne. I don't know why they wouldn't go past 1990 for her of all people, but it may depend on what else was on that day. Maybe they will do it for Melody Thomas Scott, if, let's say, they can find a couple of half hour episodes with Nikki and Victor featured, Paul and his family, Jill & Kay and not many other characters. It would be a challenge to find episodes from the 70s and early 80s that satisfy both requirements of being mostly familiar characters and also had a major event happening.

@ironlion the early 90s is my favorite period too. Maybe that's because it's when I started watching. Those are "my" people and Y&R is "my" show.

It's so strange that B&B being the only soap with actors from the original pilot would be the one that won't go back. They even use the same sets from the 80s.  Maybe they believe that their production values are their strong suit (it isn't the writing or the acting...) hence the focus on all their location shoots. It's a source of pride, but the episodes are kind of boring.

• Members

Wow, I'm excited to see all the vintage Y&R!  I understand B&B's standpoint from a business perspective, but stuff from the last 10 years doesn't qualify as "classic" to me. 

I would be interested in seeing them dip back into 1984 and showcase Katherine's/Jeanne's face lift episode. 

• Members

He can try to hide it all he wants, but I'm inclined to believe Brad Bell holds personal grudges with some actors IE: Ronn Moss, so He won't have anything to do with re-showing anything from 87-2012 then.

It seems like they might show some of the Katherine/Marge stuff next week!

Please register in order to view this content

• Webmaster

I think this part relates to what Tracey E. Bregman was talking about early on in this thread, btw:

The stars of “Y&R” and “B&B” will provide bonus content with fresh commentary at the beginning and end of many episodes. Additional “theme weeks” of both series will be announced in the near future.