Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Looking at the 1991 episode, I was amazed at just how beautiful it looked. This really never came across anywhere near as well in the oirginal airing and makes me want to see more, haha. It also got me thinking........

Do you think Sony has digitized all episodes of Y&R or they only did this for the episodes they planned to re-broadcast?

The lockdown happened pretty quickly, all things considered, and they managed to get these newly edited and digital broadcasts going pretty quickly, so I wonder if Sony has already archived all the eps to a digital format. 

I know production companies often scan and archive material regardless of whether or not it is going to see the light of day. So was curious about this.

I assume if someone had to edit these down for re-broadcast and possibly worked remotely, then all episodes might be digitally archived.

Edited by will81

• Members

Said the exact same thing!

Agreed. Y&R probably has the strongest audience in daytime currently. All they need to do is get back basics (on a lesser budget) content wise and they'd be solid for a few more years.

It sucks that great soaps are in the past tense. Is there a future for this medium, or is the total end near? They say streaming is the future and I hope so. Streaming platforms seem to not have an aversion to niche audiences versus the mass appeal nature of broadcast so perhaps there is hope. 

Edited by ironlion

• Members

DAYS does. Like #1-#5 on the NBC app. If not #1. Not sure on YR/BOLD. GH isn't the tops for ABC but it probably does ok.

And back in 2013, AMC/OLTL were usually #1-#5 on Hulu so ... there's an audience for them on a streaming platform, IMHO.

The problem is, how much ad revenue do they bring in online?

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Last original YR is this Thursday! All vintage after that... for next week "Y&R will kick things off with a week of vintage episodes — some dating back as far as 1990 — centered on iconic Genoa City matriarch Katherine Chancellor (played by the late Jeanne Cooper)."

https://tvline.com/2020/04/20/young-and-restless-last-new-episode-final-original-reruns/

• Members

Cool. With all the attention on the classic episodes airing, when do you all feel was the strongest period for y&r in its history. Personally I thought it was the 90s based on storylines, lighting, directing and background music. However I notice most of the affinity for the show among classic fans dates back to the 70s.

Edited by ironlion

• Members

In general, a lot of people consider "the golden era" to be 1973-1994, with a dip in quality from 1995-1997, and a resurgent "silver era" from 1998-2003. Of course within that, some years are better than others. 1983 and 1991 are peak years for me.