Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Members

France is the next country to shut down: Everything except grocery stores, pharmacies and gas stations will close at midnight. 

Romania has declared a state of emergency. 

Latvia is shutting down all transport connections to other countries. 

In Germany, Cologne is following Berlin's measures: The city council has decided to close all bars, clubs, cinemas, etc. The zoo has been partly shut down, public transportation will be thinned out, and Cologne Cathedral is closed except for some prayer services. 

Edited by Huntress

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm sorry if this sounds cold-hearted, but I do think this is getting out of hand. I don't mean to diminish the tragedy of those who have died, but let's get some perspective here: so far there's been around 155.000 cases worldwide, with roughly 5.900 deaths.

In 2018 there were around 228 million (!) cases of malaria in the world, with 405.000 deaths! Yet, borders were not closed, traveling was not forbidden, people weren't stock-piling toilet papers in their basements.....

But I guess since this virus is afflicting the more "developed" parts of the world (Europe, North America etc) compared to malaria which mostly hits third world countries, this corona outbreak is so much worse.... 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

The malaria comparison might not have been the most relevant, but the point I was trying to make was that it feels like everyone's panicking over this. It's not the bubonic plague. Entire countries shutting down, closing borders, cancelling all sporting events, restaurants, theatres and cinemas closing etc....

In Norway, Denmark and Sweden together we've had somehere between 2,500 and 3000 confirmed cases so far, and 5 deaths combined. All of them elderly people with prior health issues.

It's not a death sentence if you catch this virus, but people are acting like it is. For the vast majority it will probably be like a bad case of the flu, or even less than that.

I'm not saying we should completely ignore it, of course not, but let's not get carried away.

• Members

I think we are just starting to find out how dangerous or not this virus is.  Most information about it was based off data from China, which I'm not sure can be 100% trusted.  A lot of our medical experts have been saying only 2% of people who get this will die, because that's what happened in China. South Korea's is way lower than that, but Iran's death rate is 4.8% and Italy's death rate is at 6.8%. They have been saying it mostly affects older people because that's what the data from China showed, but both Italy and France have announced people under 60 are also in the ICU. Today France said 50% of their people in the ICU due to this virus is UNDER 60.  I think the more data we get from other countries the more we'll know if this is overblown or not. 

• Members

Given the state of health care and of the common person's health in the US I'm expecting the worst. The sad part is nothing will change. McConnell is still dragging his feet. The bill passed was important but still nowhere near enough. And Trump is as popular as ever. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

My pregnant co-worker was upset today because her husband was out shopping for the and he said that the store was out of diapers. She's six months pregnant and was really worried about that, because she also has an 18 month old at home and she only had one pack of diapers left. Thankfully when someone went on break, they were able to go out and find a pack of a diapers for her, in one of the stores. (Though, my other co-worker stated it was one of the few packs left and it was a small pack) 

But people really do need to stop with the hoarding of important items. They are being incredibly selfish. My dad told me that he saw a lady with two shopping carts of toilet paper, coming out of the store today, leaving the shelves completely bare. I went to three stores today and they were all out of toilet paper. Thankfully, I have some rolls at home.   I also saw someone on Twitter say that their friend bought 14 cases of water. Nobody needs that much water, unless they have an incredibly large family at home. (Which I don't think that person did, they may have even been single/childish).People are being so greedy, it's okay to get a little extra in order to prepare, but it's wrong to take way more than you need. 

This is trifling IMHO. Maybe some of these people will end up becoming low on money from all of this selfish, greedy, hoarding. And maybe that will enable some other people of having a chance to get what they need, when the stores restock.

Edited by xtr

• Members

That's so awful. I hope everything works out for your co-worker. 

In one of Newt Gingrich's rare bits of sanity:

John Cornyn is trolling, as the sociopath Republicans who hate us and want us to die do. I'd say give money to his opponent, but there's little chance he's going to lose, so just use that money to stay safe, and maybe just tell people you know in Texas about the race instead.

https://mjfortexas.com/