Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I was reading about some of the shitfaces who mass bought hand sanitizer and other products to sell at hugely inflated prices (the New York Times, surprise surprise, gave one of them a glowing profile, complete with a "cute" photo where he's embracing his wife and baby). Enraging. These people should be put in jail. 

In more positive news (for now, anyway - unless action is taken these places will just double down into burning everything once this is over [if it's over...]).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/2020/03/11/coronavirus-lockdown-may-save-more-lives-from-pollution-and-climate-than-from-virus/

And also this, which is mostly just something that needs to be said over and over and over:

• Members

I was going to go to Melbourne on the 30th but in light of these restrictions I've decided to stay home.

It's possible they may be lifted by the 8th April when I was due to come home but it seems a bit reckless to leave NZ now.

• Members

I only read the title to the Forbes article and let me tell you: China and South Korea have largely contained the virus though massive lockdown and an App tracing people's movements. Apparently you need both kinds of measures to get results.

To suggest lockdown is pointless is dangerous IMHO.

As for the shoppers, I don't see what's so strange about panicking and wanting to stockpile. It's very human to get worried and provide for one's loved ones. It's the owners of the shops who should put a limit on purchases (let's say 2 hand sanitizers per person). The same goes for mask producers. There's a high demand for masks, then produce more. I know it's not that simple, but the narrative here has been pretty confusing.

Edited by Aback

• Members

Someone in the replies to the tweet works at a store and said if they have limits, a person will leave the store, then come back not long after and buy more. It's better than someone buying a thousand things at once, but only marginally so.

I think there's a point where if you are buying dozens and dozens of rolls of toilet paper and you are only taking care of yourself or a few other people, then you should consider leaving some behind. 

Unfortunately most masks are not made in the US and the few who make them are in heavy demand. A Chinese businessman is donating a million masks, but those will go very quickly. 

A great deal of the lack of supplies is because this country has shuttered so many of our businesses and factories. And that isn't likely to change, sadly. 

• Members

I know you're probably being sarcastice but Trump doesn't give rat's ass if people die. He couldn't care less. He is concerned with one thing and one thing only: How he is viewed by his base. His ego is so large he thinks of this only in terms of how it will affect his popularity. He has no care for the human element in this. This is why he only speaks about this in terms of the Dow, because his entire presidency hinges on people believing he has created this mega-economy.

• Members

^Trump flies by the seat of his pants with his decisions anyway and everything he does is just to make it to the day.

Those Gen Z and Millennial social influencers who were make fun about all of the cheap flights that they are able to take may have a few less places to take their trips.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-mexico/mexico-frets-about-u-s-coronavirus-spread-could-tighten-border-idUSKBN2102BY