Y&R December 2019 Discussion Thread

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's too bad that we probably weren't posting in the thread at the same times @koos, so we likely missed each other's posts.  @KMan101I do agree that it's been a problem for a long time.

The case of that video posted upthread is kind of unusual since it involves veteran actors, usually you see that type of debacle with 'greener' actors.  When the actors are relatively inexperienced, particularly in daytime, I tend to think that the absence of a director gets compounded with the nature of how soaps are produced these days, as @BetterForgotten mentioned. I can remember reading interviews with actors who started on soaps in the 80s, 90s up until the very early '00s saying that they often found a lot of helpful advise and guidance from the veteran actors on their respective shows.  I think the way storylines are constructed and shooting schedules are done, it's less likely that you'll have a very new actor interacting with an Eric Braeden or a Jess Walton.  I know a lot of people laugh when one of Eric Braeden's followers tweet at him about a new cast member and his response is usually "Who?!!" but, in most cases, I genuinely think he's being honest, he doesn't know who that person even is because they haven't interacted at all because they're rarely even on set the same days, and that's fine but I feel like the element of younger actors interacting and gaining insight from the more experienced veterans is lacking these days.  I think, back in the day, even when actors didn't share scenes, they'd have opportunities to interact from just being on the set some of the same days.

But yeah, it's a confluence of factors why we end up seeing scenes as wildly uneven as the one upthread. Although, again, it used to be rare to see it play out with veteran actors.  I guess times truly have changed!

• Members

Directors on soaps have always been constrained by time limits, but nowadays it seems they just give basic outlines and leave it to the actors.

It used to be morning read through off set, then blocking on set, dress rehearsal and then taping (sometimes retakes if necessary)

How does it work these days?

I know they don't retake any more, unless absolutely necessary.

• Members

The ONLY things going for that scene were the snowflakes in the windows and the music. 

The way it played out, Phyllis didn't look as though she were even trying to DECIDE whether or not to tell Nick her news.   It looked as though she just walked in to confide in the hostess --- her best friend and confidante -- that she had some information about Nick's brother, but she'd determined in advance to "take the high road", and she was just letting her dear friend, the hostess, know what was going on.   How stupid.  

Would've been ten times better if she'd given it some thought, taken a step toward him, changed her mind, then said, "Naw, I'm taking the high road" and left.  It's really hard to watch scene after scene fall flat on its face like this.    

• Members

Yes, that Phyllis scene was horrible with the waitress. I miss Gina Tognoni, and will admit the writing is doing MS no favours either.

On a superficial note, Kyle looked REALLY good in that brown cardigan.

They really don't know what to do with Nick. 

Have no idea what's going on with Billy, but it sucks.

Nate is acting like a whole bitch to Devon

• Members

I don't like the way that Devon/Elena keep trying to pry into Amanda's life and how they keep clashing with Nate over that. Amanda really hasn't been bothering them, and doesn't seem concerned about them. Yet they continue to worry about her life and act upset regarding things like her relationship with Nate. I agree with Nate that they shouldn't be prying into her personal life. And both Devon/Elena have been coming across as nags. I could see their snooping leading to trouble coming to town in the form of her ex Ripley. 

IMO, this story is falling flat, because Devon wasn't that bothered when Amanda first showed up and seemed more concerned about the will than anything. But now that Colin has taken off wants to turn his attention to Amanda. Elena is coming across as very insecure and Amanda/Nate haven't even been interacting the past several days. I look forward to any upcoming interaction they will have. I think that Nate/Amanda continue to have good chemistry, unlike Amanda/Billy who I really don't see chemistry with. (Though, I'm fine with an Amanda/Billy friendship.) I do think that Jason Thompson is trying to generate something with them, but there really isn't anything there, IMO.

And the show still isn't doing much with the young set. Even Lola, who the show is now acting like Theo might be interested in. The Young set hasn't had much of a story in several weeks now. They really aren't doing much of anything. 

He and Elena have wondered if Nate has feelings for Amanda. But Nate hasn't really admitted anything to them. Nate continues to be friends with Amanda, though they haven't been shown together in several days. She's been spending more time getting to know/bonding with Billy. I do think that Nate definitely has feelings for her and I wonder how he will react once he finds out that she's been spending more time with Billy. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

Yup.  IDC how many years Joshua Morrow has been with the show.  Nick Newman is a dead-end character, because Morrow remains VERY limited in his acting abilities.  About the only thing he's good for, IMO, is another, permanent reunion with Sharon -- and we know how he feels about that, lol!

Frankly, if it were up to yours truly, I'd just as soon kill off the bastard.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Maybe they should recast Noah, and possibly have some kind of father/son battle or secret lovers thing?  Or have Faith decide she wants to stay in GC and falls in love with a boy from the wrong side of the track kind of deal.  His stories should be around his older kids, because I love his interactions with Summer.

• Members

re Nick

The politics story screeched to a halt and before that Dark Horse led to nothing (apart from money wasted on the set).

Nick is the easy going family minded guy (a reflection of JM it seems) so business stories don't seem to work - he's best at being a dad. 

Is there something in Nick's past that could be used to provide story? Grace's return?

• Members

Josh Griffith starts stories, characters have interesting conversations, those conversations become repetitive....and then nothing happens. The stories go NOWHERE. I cannot believe that a HW believes this stuff is compelling television.

Every week, we get a start to ANOTHER storyline. Unbelievable.

• Members

True.  @Cruising Soaps also has the right idea with involving Nick in his kids' lives more.  IMO, that is the only way to make JM work.

It's just a shame that neither he nor Amelia Heinle really has what it takes to work in business stories.  Nick and/or Victoria should be involved heavily in Newman Enterprises stories.

• Members

I feel like Nick is easier to write than Victoria (due to a limited actress in the role). I feel like Nick works best *not* working at Newman and as a rich boy at home cheating on his wife, getting into trouble and interfering with his kids lives. He always reminded me of Nikki and just like she didn't need to work I don't think he does. I prefer Nick with Sharon because it allows him to explore the type of stories he should have which is more as a father/romantic cad. Victoria is the one I wish was a strong and powerful business woman. By now she should be a force to be reckoned with. Someone that people are intimidated by and who gives as good as she gets in romantic relationships. A female Victor essentially. Nick just doesn't work as a business man (he is too dumb) and Victoria doesn't work as a romantic heroine or housewife (too cold).