Taoboi

Y&R December 2019 Discussion Thread

On 12/6/2019 at 6:06 PM, Chris B said:

Forget what’s airing now, what we need to talk about is Dena Higley meeting with Steve Kent for the Y&R HWing gig😭😭😭 The fact they’d even consider her is absolutely insane! Tbh, I’m down for this! The show is gonna have a new writer every year and it’s always a mess so we may as well go through what we went through with the ABC and PGP soaps with the endless merry go round of HWs. 

I can already imagine people making excuses for her and trying to give her a shot if she gets it lol! This is truly amazing!

Wait. WHAT?!?

11209768_10153815808149688_2761798903811037_n.jpg

12 minutes ago, Taoboi said:

Wait. WHAT?!?

11209768_10153815808149688_2761798903811037_n.jpg

yep. Steves looking at people for the HW job and he talked to Dena. There are other people in the running though.

1 hour ago, AdamNewmanFan said:

yep. Steves looking at people for the HW job and he talked to Dena. There are other people in the running though.

Now that I'm caught up on the thread...

1) I guess I'm the only one that liked Sally's last run. I don't mind being solo on that.  But boring...no. Only real time other that double mess that Cane was ever interesting. And so many possibilities for someone who said she fell by the seat of her pants. Allegedly. 

2)I think someone said it best when they said that a pattern has emerged of writers even being too slowly paced or too plot driven. Is there even a writer now who is able to balance both as a HW in today's climate?

3) While I gave Dena a chance at OLTL and her...second or third go around on DAYS,  uh...h*ll no to her on Y&R.

I am curious to see who else is in the running. And hope one of them is someone from in house...kinda like how GH for better or for worse brought someone in from in house to HW.

53 minutes ago, Taoboi said:

1) I guess I'm the only one that liked Sally's last run. I don't mind being solo on that.  But boring...no. Only real time other that double mess that Cane was ever interesting. And so many possibilities for someone who said she fell by the seat of her pants. Allegedly. 

2)I think someone said it best when they said that a pattern has emerged of writers even being too slowly paced or too plot driven. Is there even a writer now who is able to balance both as a HW in today's climate?

3) While I gave Dena a chance at OLTL and her...second or third go around on DAYS,  uh...h*ll no to her on Y&R.

I am curious to see who else is in the running. And hope one of them is someone from in house...kinda like how GH for better or for worse brought someone in from in house to HW.

i liked sallys run just too much victoria for me lol.
But yeah idk if they are going in house. If they were i think they would just promote Sarah Bibel and Amanda Beall.

2 hours ago, Taoboi said:

Actually, Sally was the last time I watched Y&R regularly. I really liked where she was going with it, and then it started to feel like she wasn't being given room to move the stories forward...and then she was gone. I literally got through one episode of Mal's run as HW before losing interest. Was Sally perfect? No. Way too much time with Victoria and Billy in the Jabot lab/broom closet. But it was way better than whatever's come after.

1 minute ago, beebs said:

Actually, Sally was the last time I watched Y&R regularly. I really liked where she was going with it, and then it started to feel like she wasn't being given room to move the stories forward...and then she was gone. I literally got through one episode of Mal's run as HW before losing interest. Was Sally perfect? No. Way too much time with Victoria and Billy in the Jabot lab/broom closet. But it was way better than whatever's come after.

I think sally could have been better. She was thrown into the job right after her brother died and canned after 6 months which is not enough time to make a change.

Sony/CBS have continually shown that they cannot make a good decision.

It would be just typical if Dena Higley was hired. I didn’t watch her OLTL (but heard it ranged from mundane-offensively bad) but did catch both her tenures at Days of Our Lives, and I wouldn’t wish her on Y&R.

11 hours ago, AdamNewmanFan said:

I am not familar with his work. Is he that bad. 💀

No.

He's worse.

9 hours ago, David Jones said:

I believe Dena can probably pitch it well. Something she says keeps landing her gigs. 

She got the OLTL job on three words: "Jessica [Viki's daughter] has DID."

6 hours ago, AdamNewmanFan said:

But yeah idk if they are going in house. If they were i think they would just promote Sarah Bibel and Amanda Beall.

And if Amanda Beall, who wrote the infamous words "Open bed, insert slut," were promoted to HW, I think I would be ready for the macadamia ranch.

Edited by Khan

With the recent Golden Globes noms and Ana de Armas nomination, I am reminded of how insufferable Lola is on Y&R (not as much recently). After recently watching Knives Out, it was overhyped and under-delivered. The constant love and sainthood for Marta just reminded me of Y&R's Lola, and the actress was less than inspiring.

Thinking back to Sally's time, if you compare what's happening now, imagine how good her show could've been had she been given time to review the show and create a bible. I recall her doing an interview where she said she was hired and had to immediately start working so she didn't have time to prepare. Whoever gets the gig this time will have that time since JG has the contract extension. She also didn't get a full year. I do feel her time on the show while not perfect was the last time the show was good. The way she wrote the show just felt like Y&R. The stories weren't always successful, but the day-to-day show was very enjoyable for me.

18 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Thinking back to Sally's time, if you compare what's happening now, imagine how good her show could've been had she been given time to review the show and create a bible. I recall her doing an interview where she said she was hired and had to immediately start working so she didn't have time to prepare. Whoever gets the gig this time will have that time since JG has the contract extension. She also didn't get a full year. I do feel her time on the show while not perfect was the last time the show was good. The way she wrote the show just felt like Y&R. The stories weren't always successful, but the day-to-day show was very enjoyable for me.

Well said. 

For clarity, here's the Sussman quote I referred to:

Daytime Confidential: Mariah and Tessa kissed last week on The Young and the Restless. What was the genesis behind telling a story where two seemingly straight women fall in love?

Sally Sussman: When I came into Y&R last September, I had one day's notice to start the job. I had been traveling in France with my feature documentary [Midnight Return: The Story of Billy Hayes and Turkey], and hadn't been watching the show for several years. So, I had nothing prepared and never have started a job like that before. But because of the change happening so fast, I had to jump in with both feet. While starting to write the daily shows, I came up with several stories that I pitched the network; one of which is the love story between Mariah and a new character named Tessa. This is a love story; it's not a gay story. It's about falling in love with a person, not a gender. It is about Mariah and Tessa's self-discovery and it catches them both off guard. People fall in love unexpectedly for all sorts of reasons. Some they understand; some they don't.

Full Interview: https://daytimeconfidential.com/2017/08/10/sally-sussman-speaks-out-on-young-and-restless-and-lesbian-love-story

One day notice to write a soap is pretty extreme. She did great considering. 

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

I hope so. Say what you will about mal and pratt but they knew what stories they were gonna do.

31 minutes ago, AdamNewmanFan said:

I hope so. Say what you will about mal and pratt but they knew what stories they were gonna do.

Yes, I don't care who the writer is, you can't have your expectations too high when you hire somebody with one day notice. She had to immediately start getting scripts ready and come up with storylines while doing that as well as figuring out what all has happened in the 10 years you were away. This certainly explains why the show was light on story when she started, but I remember by the summer in LA the show was definitely picking up steam. Considering nothing damaging had happened I would've at least kept her for another year just to see what happens. I don't know why think think a new writer every year or two is gonna save the show. This is just like what happened to GL, ATWT, AMC and OLTL.

4 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Yes, I don't care who the writer is, you can't have your expectations too high when you hire somebody with one day notice. She had to immediately start getting scripts ready and come up with storylines while doing that as well as figuring out what all has happened in the 10 years you were away. This certainly explains why the show was light on story when she started, but I remember by the summer in LA the show was definitely picking up steam. Considering nothing damaging had happened I would've at least kept her for another year just to see what happens. I don't know why think think a new writer every year or two is gonna save the show. This is just like what happened to GL, ATWT, AMC and OLTL.

I wouldnt be surprised if she gets another shot. Tonys her wife if they are looking for someone he can easily say "Hey my wife wrote the show once!"