Y&R December 2019 Discussion Thread

• Members

THIS.

I would gladly take Sally back with Kay (and good to see I'm not alone on that here). that was the last time I was regularly viewing as well. And while Mal helped a bit and I liked it, I was sorry to see it was all so he could power play. 

Would love to see how she and Kay would do given more time to plan. 

Her unplanned was intriguing from evil Cane to Juliet to Lauren's Fenmore story to where Sharon and GT Phyllis could go without men. So yeah, I am down.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Unfortunately correct. I think, like the other soaps that fell before, we're at the point of probably no return.

I'd take her and Kay back too, though it feels unlikely, but who knows? Without interference (but that goes for three out of the four soaps too) of course. We all know Mal wanted control. I can understand why some found it "boring" but there has to be a happy balance that can be found. Most casual fans just don't really know what they want.

• Members

Has there been any actual discussion of how little directors seem to do on soaps over the past several years?  I tried to discuss this years ago but there were no takers.  I really think the lack of direction in scenes needs to be taken more into consideration and discuss more often, in addition to poor writing and small sets, etc. 

A good director is often hardly ever noticed in what he/she contributes but a bad/indifferent director can really help to botch the way a scene looks and comes across.  I'm not sure if people appreciate this.

• Members

I've mentioned this before, but like you, found little discussion. It's possible most people with more than a surface interest in soap operas associate this problem more with Days of Our Lives, but that was already over a decade ago when it came out about Days not even having acting coaches, and all soaps, especially Y&R, are now very obviously affected. I rarely watch B&B and GH, but I believe this is why so many DOOL and Y&R actors have irritating, repetitive tics, and why some episodes are way better (or worse) than others.