Y&R December 2019 Discussion Thread

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I really enjoyed Billy Miller as Billy. But I have grown to really like and accept JT in the role. To his credit I do think he is trying to make something spark with him and Amanda. IMO, they aren't sparking due to lack of effort on his end. I just think they don't really have romantic chemistry. But the show wants to push them (at least right now), even when IMO she has much better chemistry with Nate, who she is keeping at arms length. (I do think that one big reason she is doing that is because she doesn't want to be hounded by Elena/Devon for her relationship with him. They (especially Elena) kept complaining about Amanda/Nate's relationship/his possible interest in her).

Maybe Amanda doesn't want to be really bothered by them, that's why she hasn't been spending that much time with Nate. But I think she's acting like she like Billy more. Phyllis even asked her who's the guy, when she mentioned she didn't have to buy drinks lately and they were referring to Billy. And now her and Billy keep texting each other and talking about possible plans of meeting up. And Victoria is completely unaware of what's going on with them. She doesn't even know they have become friends/gotten closer. Maybe the show is doing this to try and give Victoria/Billy some angst. Even though they just had their commitment ceremony not too long ago and seemed like they were in a good place again. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

LOL, all the pearl clutchers who watch would croak on the spot

And SO agreed on JT as Billy. Why am I watching Grandpa Billy and Boretoria patting his head and continuing to enable him? This couple should have never ever been a 'thing'. They simply must not know what else to do with Heinle as Victoria because they seem much more interested in writing for JT/Billy than her, which is kind of a blessing. Heinle just can't lead storylines. She's supporting. She should not be playing a lead character like Victoria Newman. She's been the problem for almost 15 [!@#$%^&*] years. And we're still stuck with her. But then again we were stuck with Daniel Goddard for what almost the same amount of time?

But according to Vee and some others, this is how they want Victoria to be. Real shame.

Also a shame they've made Nate and Amanda as boring as paint drying. Charismatic actors play these roles. USE THEM BETTER. I feel like they're intentionally making Amanda boring and being sort of wishy washy with her because of how much Hillary got hated on (I do think most of that stemmed from the Neil/Devon garbage and the writing for Hillary was often trash). 

Also still annoyed they keep adding white newbies when "we can't find anything for Ana/Loren Lott". Sure had no problem tying Theo to TWO core families. The guy playing Theo would have made a good Noah but they don't seem interested in him because they want Nick to still be in that role. (They also should have paired Adamson's Noah with MCE/Chelsea). I digress ...

So much missed potential on Y&R

Edited by KMan101

• Members

The entire show is dull as hell. I've been tuning in on and off again and lord, nothing is making me watch. Not.A.Thing. I'm at the point where just seeing Sharon Case's face or Mishael helps but man ... the show is directionless as hell. Big time. They just can't seem to get it. We get campy plotty garbage (Maria Bell, Pratt, Mal). We get slow and "boring" (Sally) ... heaven forbid they remember what worked for this show and go back to it, but they're clearly not capable or interested.

Oh, and Michael/Lauren/Paul/Christine SHOULD NOT BE DOUBLE DATING. They should NOT be friends. Why is Phyllis just lurking all over town? I'm a little tired of Phyllis the outcast (not everyone should like her, of course) but I guess it works best for her character. I bet Staff wishes she stuck with GH .... all Phyllis does is lurk and get yelled at. She doesn't even have the bark or bite she once had. No one is even phased by her. Such a waste.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

To update y'all on the HW stuff, in the new Daytime Confidential podcast they said Steve Kent is pushing for JG to stay, so the interview with Dena Higley I would imagine is either for co-HW or a backup plan. Very disappointing if he gets another year as boring as 2019 has been. 

• Members

It is so sad, lol, when folks want Phelps and Pratt back because at least things happened.

I think that's why folks were so gung-ho on social media for the time jump on DAYS, they made it seem like things would actually happen (which hasn't really been the case, being "told" something and "shown" something are two very different things) so fans cling to anything remotely interesting or exciting at this point, even if it's plotty as hell and makes no sense. I see lots of folks get excited when plots wrap up on B&B and they think things are finally happening but within a few weeks it's back to the same bitching.

Soaps are in such a rut at this point they are merely existing and they're doing a poor job of it at that.

lol seriously? This just confirms to me that Steve Kent is just as big of an issue as I've heard he is.

He wants the soaps dead, IMO.

• Members

Back when I used to care about this show, I said for years, years, that both of Lauren's sons should have taken an active role in the business.  In fact, it should've been 'all hands on deck'  when Femore's was in the red financially before bad writing decided to make Jabot the savior in the piece.

Another thing I've been saying for years. Steve Kent is as big, if not more of a problem than shoddy writing and terrible showrunning.  He's the gatekeeper letting all these incompetents in to begin with.  The "buck stops" with him.

Some people are so desperate to see their faves get a storyline, they don't care what it is, whether it works or not.  I think there may be some MiM fans that are so desperate to see her get storyline, that they are willing to see chemistry where it may not exist.  Pairing this Amanda character with Billy won't offer much stability for the character or the actress on the show, especially seeing as Billy has been at loose ends storywise for what seems like the better part of a year (since Gina Tognoni left, really).

• Members

Zach Tinker was so good in his first return episode. It’s not easy to play emotional scenes like that and make them work, especially after a long absence. Give him a contract.

The Billy storyline with Amanda is terrible. Nothing about it works. Yes, Amanda has chemistry with Nate. Btw, Billy has this new job...and he handles everything about it on the phone. Ok then.

Stafford has been really good, and I think Phyllis is getting more direction as a character as of late. MS is much better here, and I doubt very much that she’d want to return to GH as Nina.

My guess about the shocker in Michael and Lauren’s life? That it has to do with Kevin and Chloe. Oh, btw, did you know that Elizabeth Hendrickson is pregnant in real life? 

• Members

I watched yesterday because it was a Christmas episode and about all I liked was Tracy and Ashley.  I read through some of the threads and am shocked to see people writing/talking about so much.  I didn’t see anything going on - again. Whoever the guy playing Fen is hot to me and looked big compared to the other guys.  I might tune in for him.  And I have never liked this actor as Billy.  In regard to Stafford - GH would be crazy to take her back. Never watched GH but a few days ago passed by and Cynthia Watros was on and was excellent.  Makes Stafford’s Phyllis look like an amateur.  From the scene I saw on GH it looked like Watros was being paired with Maura West in some kind of scheme.  I might switch back and forth between that and Kelly Clarkson.  At least it looked like something was going on.  And two great actresses

Edited by Fevuh

• Members

One of the things fans seem to agree on everywhere I see: Zach Tinker is WANTED as Fen. Why can't the show understand this?

If I'm watching Stafford on any soap I want her to be Phyllis. I think she's doing well with what they're giving her and this week did seem to be slightly better.

Billy and Amanda, yeah, no. Poor Thompson though you can see him trying so hard to make it work. Honestly, Mishael seems uncomfortable playing Amanda and she looks kinda bored (who could blame her? she perked up around Stafford) but maybe that's just how she's playing Amanda. There's not much direction for the character, big surprise there. And she does have chemistry with Nate. But they seem to want to keep him in "Neil fill-in mode". Devon and Elena feel like complete afterthoughts.

Literally no one wanted Chloe and Kevin back. Though I'd take Chloe back if they dumped Chelsea again. Why are they here again? Zzzzzz

I'll never ever ever get used to Heinle as Victoria. I don't care that it's been almost 15 years. Nope. The writing is kinda there for Victoria at times but she's so blah and monotone. An older Kelly Monaco, really. She can have some fire but they've been checked out for over a decade and are just collecting a check at this point. IMO, of course

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by KMan101