Y&R December 2019 Discussion Thread

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

What really screams 'life support' right now is the lack of that next generation. When I was growing up, you knew that Nick, Victoria, Sharon, Billy would be the ones to drive a new set of storylines, relationships for years to come. 

They've hit a bit of a dead end here in a sense that they've introduced so many newbies, the true next generation of this show is lost. Summer and Abby are pretty aimless. Kyle has potential thanks to a decent actor, but he seems saddled at the moment. Where is Noah? Scotty? Reed? We never see Mariah. Devon is on his own island, and he rarely communicates with people his age. I thought they missed the boat with not bringing back Mac, Brit and Raul. 

It's a good thing they didn't SORAS Faith.

You wouldn't ever know that Nate and Chance are the children of legacy characters, since they never bring up their parents or their respective upbringings. Chloe and Chance had a serious relationship at one point. Unless I missed it, they haven't really brought it up. What about Ronan?

It's tough for me to care about Chelsea.

Everything is so... 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

You could have Melissa Ordway (or Hunter King) playing both Summer and Abby and no one would notice (or care).  That's how aimless (and disposable) those two characters in particular have become.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Last I checked the only soap that really had a “younger generation” was GH, but even they felt a bit tacked-on. It’s hard to invest in a bunch of new young characters when these shows don’t even know if they’ll be on in five years. Plus, there’s no hope of getting young viewers anymore. Everything feels desperate and about basic survival.

Edit: I suppose if we counting older twentysomethings, DAYS counts.

• Members

IA.  I feel the networks have accepted that these are the genre's final days and they're just stalling for as much time as possible until they can think of something to replace 'em on their schedules.  Otherwise, the alternative at this point is to cancel the remaining four and cede that airtime to the affiliates, which means losing revenue, as pitiful as it is.