Y&R April 2019 Discussion Thread

• Members

It’s definitely an end of an era. But the future? I dunno. I hate to sound vaguely nihilistic, but is there a future? Y&R is mortally wounded in so many ways. I don’t think a cancellation is imminent, but I feel like we’re in a prolonged denouement of Bill Bell’s creation. Lots of spinning wheels.

Bryton has really stood up to scrutiny in this difficult time. He’s been the focus for a lot of this, and he’s held his ground admirably, beyond proving his worth in my opinion.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Webmaster

https://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2019/04/the-talk-yr-shemar-moore-victoria-rowell-christel-khalil-bryton-james

I loved what Bryton had to say about Victoria Rowell being the reason his character even exists. In the clip, he references that she fought for the storyline about foster care and Victoria chimes in about it being awareness month in May.

• Members

You can spot the places where Shemar improv'd in the close-up of his highlighted script monologue in the first clip at the link above. It's very close to the final scene. You can probably guess what he improvised even if you don't look at it.

• Members

Oh my gosh, I told several people that my favorite lines in the episode were Shimmy's lines, "And then he'd make some corny-ass joke, because Neil was such a cornball.  He'd say to me, 'You're so corny.'  And I'd say, 'Naw, you're so corny, you make me look like Tupac!'"   And every BIT of that was Shimmy improvising.  (It made Lily laugh out loud.) 

• Members

Not pairing Neil with Nikki & Malcolm with Jill were two huge mistakes.

Had the director moved the final segment of yesterday's show to the beginning of today's they would've been able to fit her apparently cut scene in.

• Members

Today was another very well done episode.

I liked seeing Neil's family and friends gather in the beginning at his penthouse, while Ana played the piano and sung an upbeat song to honor. I also enjoyed seeing Malcolm continue to comfort Neil's family, especially Lily. I liked that he told her that Neil would want her to keep pushing on.

It was also nice to hear Sharon/Nikki mention Drucilla by name and his relationship with Dru being talked about a little. I am glad that Nikki told Lily that she would always have a friend in her. And I think that Nikki took a lot of comfort out of Lily telling her that Neil knew he could count on her. Nikki was pretty distraught about Neil's death. I think that she got just as much comfort out of hearing that as Lily got out of hearing her words of comfort about Neil and their friendship.

Sophia getting to share her thoughts/perspective was also nice to see. She was a very warm, supportive presence on the show today. And I think that the New Nate looks and fits in well with the Winters family. I thought that his conversation with Malcolm on the couch seemed very natural. 

And I enjoyed seeing the flashbacks of Neil. My favorites were the ones of him and Malcolm from their earlier times on the show.

Edited by xtr

• Members

It does look like her scene may have been cut. Doug Davidson also said that Paul was supposed to be at the funeral. But they were moving faster than his call time, and he was written out at the last minute. He said that he was only going to get one line, where he offered his condolences. Also, Phyllis was not at the penthouse today though she was at the memorial service yesterday.

• Members

What's racist is the show sticking a white man in the only black family and centering him in the family and every story that the family got for over a decade because they find it easier to write for white males and value them more. My wishing for the show to STOP doing that is not racist! Me wishing for the black characters to be leads in their story and family is not racist! But you're free to think so. 

Edited by ajsp35801