Y&R April 2019 Discussion Thread

• Members

Finished. They did a decent job. I appreciate the Neil/Malcolm (how beautiful were they?) and Neil/Victor flashbacks from the ‘90s and hope we see more of that on Monday for the special tribute. The flashbacks overall were solid, and while I understand the characters’ need to remember KSJ/Neil as this generous, compliant vessel, they unfortunately presented Neil as something of a flat, passive saint, and we all know, at his best, he could be so much more than that. I’ll withhold judgment until we see what they do on Monday (haven’t watched the day-ahead stuff).

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Nate certainly looks great. He hasn’t had a lot to do in these episodes except dole out advice and support, which Brooks probably could have ably done, but again, I haven’t seen enough of his work to see a difference beyond the physical.

• Members

Unfortunately I think they see Nate and Ana as "supporting" when they both should be leading storylines. But they're both still new so I'll give it time but I already see the writing on the wall. Meanwhile, Lola and Rey are treated like "leads" ...

• Members

The show hasn't shown any genuine interest in Jill being properly utilized in years.  She became a "talking head" to Cane and occasionally the nagging mother/mother-in-law to Billy (when they could find the time) and Victoria. 

It's as if they forgot that this woman used to be a boss in the boardroom.  She came up with the concept of an entire line of skincare and personal care products when she was at Jabot and these noob writers of late had her involved in stupid music box storylines with useless Colin practically welded to her hip. 

Maybe JW just got tired of the trash writing for her character?

Honestly compared to her "romance" with Colin, Jill's relationship with Larry was top-drawer stuff!

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I think JW got tired of it. And she clearly was being forced out at one time. I mean weren't they practically already recasting? (Around the time we had Eddie Winslow pretending to be Malcolm)

They haven't utilized Jill as she should be in a very very long time. It's really sad. Jill should be MORE important than both Victor and Jack, IMHO. Yet they still get tons of airtime and dominance in business. Yet Jill jets off around the globe, chases after a man who she never would have let string her along so long .... none of it works. I mean, I guess I can buy Jill wanting to live a relaxing, easier life now, but at the same time ...

Honestly she felt very 'Jill-like' during the heart attack stuff but she was barely used afterwards and I thought "finally they're ending Jill and Colin" but ... nope. Although Jess apparently seems to think her character needs Colin for some reason. I guess she likes working with Tristan Rogers. But the couple does.not.work.

• Members

They tried recasting in 2009 when JW almost walked over a pay cut

YR considered Lynn Herring, Tonya Roberts, Lois Chiles, Ilene Kristen,  Deborah Shelton and even Kelly McGillis as a recast Jill

Edited by John

• Members

I have been going back and forth with posting this, because we all have watched and are dealing with Kristoff/Neil's passing, and the work is done from the cast.  I think most have done fine jobs. emotional, from the heart and soul, and the love showed through. even those who didn't do as strong of a performance under these emotional conditions, I can forgive.

except one.

MTS did IMPO the worst acting to her reaction to Neil's death IMPO. I talked to a very close friend, and all we both could come up with was...

"was Nikki screwing Neil behind Victor's back?! she made out like the sun crashed on earth and burned."

"Neil saved my life!!! OMG!!! what will become of me?!" she put spices on every piece of that set and without utensils devoured the entire thing. all actors and actresses cal in scenes. but she used t be one of the best on the show. but in the last what, 2 years or longer, her acting has just went to hell.

• Members

ajsp, please understand that my post was not directed at you or anything you said. I don’t think you’re someone who would say that to me or anyone.

i guess I felt the need to double down on everything I said and to make sure I communicated my point clearly. I’m a white male, but I’m aware of white privilege, and I just want people of color to feel that I do get it, and that I am trying to make things better.

I thought that if I “complained” about the “mediocre white man” comment and said nothing else, I’d look like a stupid, ignorant white man. The result was a post that went on forever.

Again, ajsp, my post was not about you.

• Members

I appreciate that it was impossible to cover everything regarding Neil in 2 episodes and I hope TPTB don't regard these as being done and dusted with Neil.

Efforts should be made to get Tonya back, not only to remember Neil but also anchor the character of Nate.

Other characters like Paul should also have their moments to remember and share with Devon.

So is that it for Christel? Lily is leaving town to find herself?

A recast down the road maybe?

They should probably drop the twins, always been unnecessary.