Y&R April 2019 Discussion Thread

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Not a good look. Just proved my point.  Sticking a white man in the only black family? God.  And if someone said the writers stuck a black person up in a good white family???  You'd be screaming racism.  So let's have a show where none of the black families or white families interact.  That'll work out great.  Not reality hunty. 

• Members

Good white fsmily? That is not the same thing. It's a false equivalence. We all know that this show, and daytime, finds it easier to write for white men. We know they value white men. Tying Cane to the Winters family and centering him in almost EVERY story the family had was a cop out. 

And I never said they shouldn't interact. What they shouldn't do is make Cane the lead in their orbit. He'd have never been thrust in Newman or Abbot orbit to be the lead in every story with the family, including Jack or Victor, playing supporting to him. 

I tell you what. If the situation was reversed where a genre had a history of not writing for white characters and they stuck a black character in the only white family to keep from writing for them, I'd say the exact same thing. But alas, that's not ever going to be the case in daytime so we can't test me out. 

I did ask the show to pair Ana with Noah. Since they are listening to fans, maybe they'll listen to me and center all Newmans around Ana. 

• Members

Cane is an aberration in many ways, in multiple storylines.   For those of us who would like to see Devon as the primary leading man of the Winters storyline, no such luck; we got stuck with Cane instead.   For those of us who would like to see tender mother/son scenes between Jill and Billy, no such luck;  Jill only appears when she needs to hover over Cane.   For those of us who watched in the 1980s and who invested in Phillip Chancellor III, we were suddenly told by Lynn Marie Latham that this ghastly Cane person was the "real" Phillip, and "our" Phillip was an imposter.   And then to fix that disaster, "our" Phillip was resurrected from the dead in one of the dumbest storylines ever.   Cane has been a blight on the show since the first day he appeared.   The only good thing that's ever happened is when Billy Miller punched him in the jaw and knocked him to the ground by the Chancellor pool.   It's not just a "racist" thing.   For those of us who don't like him, he's like a roach that can't be killed.        

• Members

The scene befan in the middle of Nate’s eulogy which was a letter from Olivia. I don’t think they specifically said where she was but it was obvious that the scene was meant for her had she been available. 

On the subject of Cane, I feel this was a character that failed from day one and they’ve bent over backwards to keep him around. I now do enjoy him, but it’s taken a lot. I feel Lily came alive when he died and they put her back with Daniel. I mostly hate him for holding her character back. When SSM took over and transformed him into a Brad-Esque cad, that was the best work he’s ever done. 

Now when it comes to the Barber-Winters family in particular, I get the frustration. As I said a couple pages back, this week is excellent! I’m not denying that nor will I nitpick it considering how mediocre the show has been in recent years. The potential problem I have is the follow up. This showcased that they have a stunning array of black characters and when looking at the younger crew (Charlie, Mattie, Leslie, Ana, Sofia, Nate) these are all talented actors, but they don’t get the treatment and value as their white counterparts. Dru, Neil, Olivia, Nathan and Malcolm were so popular because Bill Bell allowed their talent to be showcased at the same level as everyone else. They had nannies, extended families, supporting players and screentime. I understand frustration in thinking they won’t get their moment. I’d like to hope the show looks at the press and attention and that they give these characters the attention they deserve. 

• Members

What’s sad is the attack on this board for years against Goddard.  Especially now.  They were friends.  I can tell you KSJ would be disappointed in you.  That is all I have to say about that.  How completely awful of you.  

Big Fag here - I have that right and only date black men.  

• Members

I like Daniel Goddard. Commenting on a poorly written character is different from attacking him as an actor. One thing I did love is in listening to Michael Fairman’s tribute to KSJ, he made a point of mentioning how the entire crew came to greet Victoria Rowell and gave her a round of applause when she was on set. Her issues with the show have been the elephant in the room, but I was happy that he acknowledged that and how everybody truly came together for this. 

• Members

I understand the complaints about Cane and the writing for that character, but after awhile it just seems like overkill, especially because it also bled into personal attacks on Daniel Goddard by some people. 

DG isn’t my favorite actor and Cane isn’t one of my favorites, either, but DG is not a bad guy. His open grief for Kristoff seems authentic to me, and I do think they were close. If KSJ was good friends with DG, then Goddard must be all right.

Does he self-promote on social media? Yeah. So what. He has a family to support and he likes his job. Daytime roles are hard to snag, so I don’t  blame Goddard for trying to hold on to his. I don’t think there’s a mean bone in that guy’s body, and seeing some of the ugly comments about him makes me cringe.

Re: racist comments. I DON’T think it’s racist to comment about the writing for Cane as a lead in stories about a black family.  I do, however, think it’s a little indelicate to label him a “mediocre white man” more than once. It’s not what is said, but how it’s said.

When I read that black characters should be leads in black families and stories, I react positively. When “instead of mediocre white men” is included? It doesn’t register the same way. I nod my head and agree with everything said about black characters not getting good stories or enough airtime, and about the lack of minorities BTS and on writing staffs. I agree with it all, only to read “mediocre white man.” 

Is Cane a mediocre white man? Yeah. Not the point. No, you don’t have to care about my feelings and reaction. The thing is, you don’t have to throw shade, either.

Please don’t lecture me with “Now you know what black people experience every day.” That doesn’t make it ok for minorities to take the same low road.  I hope I’m not miscommunicating my point. I really do think racism is a huge problem in this country. It’s horrific, and I cannot imagine what people of color go through every day. I cannot imagine the worry of raising children in families of color.

i just like to think we’re better than that here. I like to think we can be respectful of each other.

• Members

His being friends with the deceased is not relevant to whether fictional character Cane Ashby has any place headlining a black core family and getting their lion's share of story in the 21st century. It wouldn't matter who it is; that's wrong. That's the issue, not whether Daniel Goddard is a nice person IRL.

Who cares?

• Members

Just watched the special cast tribute episode from the Canada Feed on YT: it is soooooo good.

What a great tribute, perfect choice of clips, compelling interviews. I especially appreciated how Dryu Malcolm and Jill-centric it was - and then there some nice surprises in the clips which characters long gone... Just wait for it... It's all very moving and for someone like me - who has dropped out of Y&R for 5 years now - reminiscent of why this show used to be so great. The actors, the characters, the sets, the music: this is Y&R

Edited by sheilaforever